Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2018 machine def issue for older files

Tim Johnson

The migration of this version has been a workout for some reason but now I have a couple templates made.

My problem is if I want to update a part on an older MC version in 2018 the machine def defaults to the 2017 for the update and then states that it needs to update that machine/control. I tell it no and it loads the 2017 machine anyway. When I try to replace the machine by clicking the 2018 folder and pick the one I want it picks the 2017 one even though I'm not in that folder. If I rename the 2017 folder MC says that it can't find the file I'm looking for but it found a 2018 machine in the 2018 folder. I click ok (or whatever the response is supposed to be) and 2018 loads up.

I've made a couple template files with this process and they load up correctly but we have thousands of files from V9 to 2017 that won't.

It appears right now the only fix is to remove 2017 completely or rename the folder before loading a file and naming it back after. I haven't tried 2018 yet and I don't want to make a commitment until I'm comfortable with 2018.

Has anyone else had this issue?

2 minutes ago, Tim Johnson said:

The migration of this version has been a workout for some reason but now I have a couple templates made.

My problem is if I want to update a part on an older MC version in 2018 the machine def defaults to the 2017 for the update and then states that it needs to update that machine/control. I tell it no and it loads the 2017 machine anyway. When I try to replace the machine by clicking the 2018 folder and pick the one I want it picks the 2017 one even though I'm not in that folder. If I rename the 2017 folder MC says that it can't find the file I'm looking for but it found a 2018 machine in the 2018 folder. I click ok (or whatever the response is supposed to be) and 2018 loads up.

I've made a couple template files with this process and they load up correctly but we have thousands of files from V9 to 2017 that won't.

It appears right now the only fix is to remove 2017 completely or rename the folder before loading a file and naming it back after. I haven't tried 2018 yet and I don't want to make a commitment until I'm comfortable with 2018.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Yes, I have asked for a switch to turn of the automagic machine/control def BS many many times and it has fallen on deaf ears

90% of the time when I open an old file, I just want to see what's there.

I don't want to load a new 2018 machine def .....I just want to open the file and look at it.

Instead I spend five minutes clicking Cancel Cancel Cancel Cancel Cancel Cancel

Its even worse when my Mastercam hating Catia loving boss spends five minutes hitting Cancel Cancel Cancel Cancel Cancel Cancel

Just open the damn file...

I've got updated machine def's and  if I want to use one I'll load it myself thank you very much.

The other day, my lathe guy came to me with problems

Every single one of our 2017 control def's had been automagically turned into 2018 control defs and he couldn't run MC2017 lathe at all.

I have no idea how it happened  or who did it but it was done all the same.

Thankfully the automagic function saves a backup copy before it wrecks it's havoc.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2017 at 6:16 AM, Tim Johnson said:

Thanks gcode,

This looks like the beginning of a Windows style update system. If it is I'm fine with it, just find a name to call it, stick with that name and update once a month.

Or maybe leave it alone and stop changing things. The change from X, to 2017/2018 is gonna cause enough grief in my shop. It's gonna harder to sell the bosses on MCAM now, than just trying to them from Surfcam/MCAM V8, to MCAM X. BUt now to go to 2017/2018...

I don't know why they gotta keep changing the stuff that works...