Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Helix in Router

heeler

We are looking at getting Mastercam Router.

We would like to know what toolpath to use to do holes in aluminum. We want to helix the hole and the do a .005 finish pass while at depth then move off the wall and do a rapid retract. We have tried some and can't seem to get the path to be what we would think we would really like.

Thanks in Advance

Glenn

JG,

When I try this, it picks up on the wall. I want to move off the wall some. If I use a Lead out it picks up and reposistions to the start of the contour for the finish. I have keep tool down on the multipass and to lead out only on the last pass. I would think that I should be able to keep the tool down and do the finish and them move off the wall and retract.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Glenn

Try helix mill or the contour with ramp. Either will work. If contour, my favorite, just make sure that you use a lead in/out that will FIT inside your geometry. Also, tell it to keep tool down for final pass. After you get the toolpath, run backplot to make sure that your lead in/out did/does not violate the side walls.

Helix mill is pretty self explainitory. Toolpaths-next menu.......

This does work, I do it all the time. Circle Mill is the answer. Set roughing to give you your helix. Set multiple passes to 1 roughing pass at whatever stepover you wanted and zero finish passes at zero stepover. This will helix down to full depth, come back to the center(if you have start at center checked) and then make your finish pass at whatever you set your roughing pass stepover to. Works like a charm every time. This is how I mill C-bores.

HTH

I just checked it out real quick and you will need to set your xy clearance to 0 in the roughing dialogue.

later,

Simon,

I got your file and checked it out. It works real well and does what we want. What it seems like is that if the start of the finish pass is into material then the program will pick up and move to the start, if it is inside then it will just feed over and start(keeping the tool down).

Thanks for your help.

Roger,

When I try this I get an illegal arc move in backplot. So I'm not sure if it will work or not. Any Ideas?

Thanks for helping.

Glenn