Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

FORMING TAP

mirek1017

Hello Guys ,I start use forming taps on my job .On first part  we run slow ,tap only -.35 deep and retap by hand .My operator complaint ,when he want to retap the tap going very hard .I check a couple  webside with drill size ,I have good size drills ( i thing so) for example for M6 *1  = .2165 drill .My question is ,what is the tolerance for forming tap ???

THANKS 

on print is ISM 1125  I think this is 1125 steel ???I have 30 taps holes M6  M5 AND M4  .After 6 hols I broke tap .We start tap only start and retap but these taps going very hard .I can make bigger hole ,but haw bigger ???this costumer is very exacting ,they check all taps holes .

What are you hand tapping with? Form taps often work harden the surface which makes re-tapping difficult. If re-tapping with a cut tap your customer will probably spot it and reject the parts as they give a different thread form.....especially if they are  picky about their threads.

They might be specifying form taps for the higher strength they provide , especially in small holes.

you should be able to find form tap drill sizes from various sources (Machinists Handbook). They are always bigger than cut tap sizes because you are displacing material, not cutting material away.