Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

TRANSFORM GEOMETRY WITH PLANE

stevieboy

Yes, this is 100% Possible. Create 2 lines, 90 degrees apart. One for the X Axis of your Plane, one for the Y Axis of your Plane. Do this for each Plane you create, put the Axis Lines on a separate level. (so you don't accidentally delete them.)

Now, when you create your new Plane, from the Planes Manager, use the 'from Geometry' option.

Pick the X Axis line first, then the Y Axis line.

In the dialog box that Pops up, there is an "Associative" checkbox. <- That checkbox is the "key". It is what "associates" the Plane you are creating, to the Lines you selected to generate the Plane the 1st time.

Now, when you Transform your part/stock, all the Planes that are Associated to the Geometry move with the Geometry.

Mr. Fish,

I think Stevieboy wants the Plane to travel with the part. The wording was a little hard to understand, but that's what I understood the request to be...

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Yes, this is 100% Possible. Create 2 lines, 90 degrees apart. One for the X Axis of your Plane, one for the Y Axis of your Plane. Do this for each Plane you create, put the Axis Lines on a separate level. (so you don't accidentally delete them.)

Now, when you create your new Plane, from the Planes Manager, use the 'from Geometry' option.

Pick the X Axis line first, then the Y Axis line.

In the dialog box that Pops up, there is an "Associative" checkbox. <- That checkbox is the "key". It is what "associates" the Plane you are creating, to the Lines you selected to generate the Plane the 1st time.

Now, when you Transform your part/stock, all the Planes that are Associated to the Geometry move with the Geometry.

Mr. Fish,

I think Stevieboy wants the Plane to travel with the part. The wording was a little hard to understand, but that's what I understood the request to be...

Well there you go then, I thought I had read somewhere that you could turn on associative but as I use the dynamic plane creation for pretty much everything now that isn't available as an option so I guess Id never learnt about it. learn something most days ;) 

Sorry Stevieboy gave you a bum steer, you can do it :lol:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MrFish said:

Well there you go then, I thought I had read somewhere that you could turn on associative but as I use the dynamic plane creation for pretty much everything now that isn't available as an option so I guess Id never learnt about it. learn something most days ;) 

Sorry Stevieboy gave you a bum steer, you can do it :lol:

It is true that it isn't an option if you use the Dynamic method of building the plane. This does take more work. The trade off is that your Plane becomes portable, and that, combined with always using the "incremental" depth settings, gives you ultimate freedom.

• Like 2