Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Multi axis Morph smoothing corners

dan_acnc@hotmail.com

I am making a port 3" deep pretty much its a 2 x 3 rectangle with 3/4" rads going down to a 2.25" square with .2" rads. 

I have this mounted between centers in a 4th axis.

I am using a morph toolpath to machine the finish pas on these ports but for some reason I'm getting lines in my corners and sometimes across my flats.

almost like the toolpath doesn't line up while it goes around. I am going with a .1" step-over so it should be fairly smooth. 

Any suggestions other than a bunch of polishing?

Couple of things.

1 - Use a simple pattern surface, then use collision control to compensate to your geometry.  Likely you will want to retract along surface normal.  If you are already doing this, then what you are describing could be the fact that the toolpath may be smooth, but how the tool contacts the workpiece may not be very intuitive.  Is the issue with the path shape, or how the finish comes out in the part?

2 - Sounds like your tool radius is close to the minimum radius of the port.

Beyond that, we would have to see a sample file to help much.

Doesn't look bad, though I would do it a little different to get smoother tool axis change motion.  Instead of tilting tool automatically, you can just use a chain to control the tilt and use stop calculation to make sure you don't have a collision.  This should get you a slightly smoother transition along the side walls.  Otherwise, another thing you can do is reduce the amount of clearance on the shank and holder, which will slacken up the automatic tilt away and reduce overall motion.

See sample file.  To save space I made them dirty, just regen them and you should be able to see what I did.

sample_husker.mcam

I changed a few things here is the before after.

Under cut pattern/ surface quality i turned on maximum distance and changed it to .01"

then under advanced options for surface quality i changed the chaining tolerance to .05 instead of .1"

thank you husker for the suggestion I will give it a shot see how it looks on my next go around.

20171208_124136-COLLAGE.jpg

• Like 3