Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tooling Barcodes

wmont8316

This website will let you type or copy/paste text and convert it into a QR code. Then you can download a JPG of your QR to put on your setup sheet. Then any simple QR reader phone app can read it. I used it recently to create QR codes for setup info on a fixture. Then we laser marked the QR code onto the fixture. 

http://www.barcode-generator.org/

Hi!

When i used the Matrix CTMS system we used code39 for scanning of the bar code sheets. the reports was also made using activereports, therefore

I did a little test and search for this today, as it will also gain my ongoing project with my setup sheet.

I used the Code39 font for this.

it is a free one on this page

http://www.squaregear.net/fonts/free3of9.shtml

Download, viruscheck as a general precaution and install as a font.

When you use it in the field You have to add a * in front an end of your text, otherwise most barcode scanner will not read the outputted field, 

that is how Code 39 usually work, and it worked this way on this font when i tried this free3of9 barcode font .

On this page you can read a little more about the code39 format:

http://www.makebarcode.com/specs/code_39.html

So:

1     Install the font in the font Directory. EDIT: Do this on all computers you will have the barcode printed out from.

You may also have to unblock the file if you get a Message that it is not a true type font

2     make your textbox and use the font free30f9 or other code39 font you find.

3     Remember to have * in front and end of the text you want to show.

Here below is an example If you want to show the article number on the tool in textbox with art number 3202473.

then you have to input *3204273*  - * in front and end of the value you would like to get output. 

I think you will see what I mean in the attached pictures.

-----------------------------------------

Example for Input in field tool code of article number *3202473*

code391.PNG.7d812a694f2a55b09576e714b50fe636.PNG

Will give You

code392.PNG.0495e126a4e820e6f9ce8eefd700280f.PNG

Input of the texbox:

code393.PNG.a641522182bad90cddee6b58fc764f22.PNG

Font selection information, herer Free 3 of 9, or the one you install

if you have another font

code394.PNG.04f3ef701b9fb71f95b5e5ad36598c3f.PNG

Format of the textbox, to make sure the field and barcode 

fits into the textbox

code395.PNG.6ad763849d6ed4ace7553ac4966449dc.PNG

And finally wrap mode to NoWrap to make sure it

stay on one line

code396.PNG.d542ae1fd78d414c914316c3e8c02824.PNG

Sorry for the long post and pictures, anyway I hope it is useful.

G

Edited by geirsj
Update
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, bushpiolt said:

There is  nothing built into the software?

There is no "barcode font" built into Mastercam. As you can see in the post above yours, once you load a Font (either free or purchased) onto your Computer, you can use that font to output the barcode data.

I'm guessing the reason it isn't "built in", is because they would have to sell a license of the Font with Mastercam. Which adds a whole new layer of complexity, since someone now has to manage the "Font" licenses for every customer. Since only a small percentage of Mastercam Users will ever need the capability, it seems like a huge waste of resources on the part of CNC Software to include a barcode font with Mastercam. For the majority of customers, that is just an extra expense, added to the cost of what you are already paying for a license of Mastercam.

If you want it "built in", then just buy a copy of Varco Reports, and have Jim customize the report exactly the way you want it. That saves a whole bunch of your time, since you don't have to worry about buying the font, or managing the integration into your Active Reports templates.

• Like 1

Agree with Mr Gilchrist on this, It is better to install a font yourself and adjust the reports to reflect your special need.

It is different bar codes standards, and different scanner types used, so if it ever should be available

i hope QR codes at least are to be standard, so you can get as much information you want into a small area.

I made an QR labelreport with the Matrix CTMS system once that had all the tooling information on a small label in the tool room, and

had a really great wireless bluetooth scanner just with option of getting the regular barcodes and not the QR codes, put you into the situation of the

disappointment of not being able to get the big picture on the label because you just had the standard barcodes readable by the scanner!

My phone got the label perfect that time, so in this year we are in now we can just use our phones to get all kinds of barcodes read, so

if it ever will be a barcode font I hope they instead develop an option for QR codes, instead of a regular standard Barcode, or both.

• Like 1