Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

SolidWorks Cooridinate System

gcode

I have posted about this feature in the past and haven't gotten much response. I don't know if I'm not explaining it correctly or if I'm just a

total geek and the only person alive who thinks this feature is very cool tongue.gif

I think this would make a very powerful addition to the SW-Mastercam direct addon.

I've put a zipped SW2004 solid part file in the Solids folder of Jay's FTP site.

It is named gcode demo.zip

If you look at the bottom of the tree you'll see that I have created 4 different Coordinate Systems.

Each one represents a different Mastercam WCS

someone might use to build this part.

Go to

File

Save As

choose file type "parasolid binary" from the drop down.

Now click Options

and then the "Output coordinate systems" drop down

Pick any one of the 4 defined coordinate systems

and click OK.

When you open the resulting parasolid in Mastercam, it will be oriented per its SolidWorks definition.

This also works when exporting assemblies, STL and IGES files from SolidWorks.

It is much easier and quicker than transforming or rotating solids in Mastercam, especially if you are working with very large solids.

[ 02-22-2004, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: gcode ]

Thanks Gcode.

All the SolidWorks guys here have been taught to build their solids from the inside out, so the coordinate system is always wrong going into MC lathe for the Integrex. I'll be getting SW on my station this week and I'll get a model prep routine worked out in SW that will include this coordinate system option. smile.gif

gcode:

I agree the SW coordinate system is a very powerful tool when importing into Mastercam. I just started using this a few weeks ago and it saves a lot of time.

Also, creating STL files from SW solves the "not watertight" problem some of you may have seen with Mcam STL files in verify. Just draw the stock in SW and save as STL. When saving, in the STL options make sure the drop down box "Output coordinate system" is set to the coordinate system you created in SW. Also make sure the "Do not translate STL output data to positive space" box is checked. I had to do a few of these banghead.gifbanghead.gif before I figured that one out.