Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Wrong Editor

TheePres

I have MCEDIT set as my default editor. When I post program and enable "edit", MCEDIT comes up fine. But, if I use "File-Edit-NC" and select another NC file, CIMCO editor will open file. Any Ideas on how to prevent this from occuring?

Below is section from my Mill.Txt file, could there be something wrong here?

[file edit]

(this line contains the Number of Editors listed - if you add one, make this bigger)

1. "5"

2. "MCEDIT"

3. "PFE32"

4. "CIMCOEDIT"

5. "NOTEPAD"

(these 2 blank lines must immediately follow the editors AND be numbered properly)

6. "MCU_V2"

7. ""

8. ""

20. "Select an Editor"

21. "Cannot select editor: "

22. " is not in the current path, Mastercam, or windows directory."

If doing this in Mastercam you need to go to file edit then before you select edit you will see editor at the bottom then there you selcet the editor you want. If doing this in a windows thing. You need to go to my computer/tool/folder options/file types then find the extension nc then change button then selecte the one you want if doing this from windows.

MCEDIT is an older editor that we licensed years ago and have not been able to get updates to. One of its shortcomings is that we cannot tell it to open up with a filename that contains spaces. If we encounter a filename with spaces, we automatically launch CimcoEdit.

So it's not really 'old NC' vs. 'new NC' files. I bet you've got a space (or more than one) in the path to the old ones.

I know the explanation's a weird one, but it's the truth.

PDG

TheePres,

Have you tried the Cimco Edit? Is there any particualr reason you prefer the MCEdit? I know lots of our clients that used other editors before we told them about Cimco Edit. Now they swear by Cimco Edit and wouldn't use anything else if you paid them. One tool that Cimco has that none of the others do is "File comparison". Compare a file you received from the floor with one you originally sent there, to see if anyone on the floor made changes to it. cool.gifbiggrin.gifcheers.gif

PDG,

You are correct, those odd named files are the culprit. As to trying Cimco, I am sure that newer programs always outperform "older" programs, when I find time I'll definitely give it a shot. But, unfortunately, not given that luxury at this time. Just a creature of habit, that likes to use what works for me.

A question, was CIMCO editor created by Karl from CIMCO integration? I had the pleasure of meeting him at Ernie's place.

• 2 months later...

Charles,

Upgrade the OEM version of Cimco Edit that comes with Mastercam to the full-blown version of Cimco Edit and you can "shift" or translate the values for any of the 3 coordinates at one time. It also has some neat additional items like Backplot of any G-code file, simple Math functions, Feed and Speed adjustments, etc... It doesn't cost a lot to upgrade it either, somewhere around $250-300 I think. The Backplot feature alone is worth that. cool.gif HTH cheers.gif