Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mill/Turn machine suggestions

3 hours ago, C^Millman said:

Doug that is the major issue I have with ant Stick machine not enough tools or parts too complex to efficiently and effectively machine them. Doing simple turn and burn parts then yes Stick Compound(Virtual Y Axis) machines have their place, but simple turn and burn parts are not what I normally run into or do a majority of our customers. The Swiss machines dominate that place and when you step up past parts that a Swiss can't do then you are competing against low dollar per hour places running their shops at $25/hr to $35/hr. They have 20 machines all paid off and running 10K to 1 million parts at a time of their machines. They are looking at profits at 1/4 to 1/2 cent per part and happy getting that monthly for years to come on some nice LTA stuff. 

Our parts are simple as far as geometry and machining, but they do take enough tool variation that we could benefit from the ATC capabilities of a B axis machine. We have quotes on a Multus B300II, Mazak J300, and we are waiting on a quote for a DMG CTX. 

1 minute ago, jlw™ said:

Is it user definable or is it the "renaming" setvar like Fanuc?  I haven't touched OSP in a decade.

I have seen some pretty off the wall names so yes I have to think it is user defined. I do believe that have protocols to follow for the start character, but after that I do believe it is free game. A more knowledgeable Okuma person should really chime in to give you the best answer.

1 hour ago, jlw™ said:

Is it user definable or is it the "renaming" setvar like Fanuc?  I haven't touched OSP in a decade.

You can name local variables as you choose with a few rules. They can have 4 characters max and cannot start with N, V, S, O. They cannot be named the same as any other mnemonic calls or math functions, MOD, ATAN, etc. If they contain numbers and letters they have to be letters first, then numbers, example; XP1 is valid whereas X1P is not. There is a limit of 127 active local variables in a program. They are only valid in the program (local) that they are called, meaning if you declare a local in your main, then go into a sub, it will not be declared in the sub. 

I try to name them as something that makes sense. for a counter I may use CNTR. for time I may use TIME. For a position I may use XPS1 or ZPS1, etc. 

To declare you need to give it a value, TIME=0, XPS1=10.556, etc.

• Like 3

Oh ok, that's pretty interesting.  I'm not sure what the character limit is in 840D... never hit it or the amount of variables.  I always named my logically too.  It would be like "DEF REAL PALLET_001_FACE_B0,"  I also used REAL a lot more than I should but it didn't do anything wacky with rounding or +/-.  You can also define and retain global variables.  You can also create a page of your own variables.  I did that to retain/recall bushing locations on different pallets.  Was really nice for nothing more than that but I used it for SO MUCH.  Man, I miss 840D.  Mazak supposedly has it coming but that doesn't help me for he 24 other machines on the floor.

15 hours ago, YoDoug® said:

You can name local variables as you choose with a few rules. They can have 4 characters max and cannot start with N, V, S, O. They cannot be named the same as any other mnemonic calls or math functions, MOD, ATAN, etc. If they contain numbers and letters they have to be letters first, then numbers, example; XP1 is valid whereas X1P is not. There is a limit of 127 active local variables in a program. They are only valid in the program (local) that they are called, meaning if you declare a local in your main, then go into a sub, it will not be declared in the sub. 

I try to name them as something that makes sense. for a counter I may use CNTR. for time I may use TIME. For a position I may use XPS1 or ZPS1, etc. 

To declare you need to give it a value, TIME=0, XPS1=10.556, etc.

Thank you sir. B)

• 1 month later...