Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Advanced 5X tool paths, lesson learned

gcode

I learned something today.

We build a really nasty impeller at my place.

We only build one or 2 a year and I've never been happy with my finish toolpaths

I've always used a 3+2 flowline toolpath and Ø1" ball endmill

The trouble with this approach is it requires an 18" gage length tool, it chatters, runs poorly

and requires a spring pass to get a good part. This adds about 24 hours to the cycle time.

In theory, there is room for a 2.5" button cutter with a 9" gage length if you run true 5X toolpaths.

I've tried to toolpath this vane off and on for 5 years in 5 different releases of Mastercam and never achieved

results I was happy with.

The toolpaths I was trying to use were Morph and Parallel

The biggest problem was that Tilt collision avoidance would not do what I needed.

This morning I was building a sample file to email to a couple of 5X wizards and ask for help.

While doing this, I had an idea,

I hit the Restore to Defaults button and rebuilt my test toolpaths.

In 5 minutes, I had exactly the Morph toolpaths I was looking for.

See the attached screenshots

I have no idea why this worked, but I'm sure not complaining

Concave wall.PNG

Convex wall.PNG

• Like 1
5 hours ago, gcode said:

I hit the Restore to Defaults button and rebuilt my test toolpaths.

I was getting an unknown exception error today. Couldn't put a finger on why, anyway, I restored defaults and went about selecting what I wanted, voila it worked.    Sometimes that is the goto.

The advanced multiaxis paths are a great tool and I would be totally screwed without them....  I pretty much use morph and parallel for everything now.  I love the flexibility of collision control, and lead-in/out.  Not to mention you just get a nice clean path with usually decent point distribution.