Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Number of decimal places for rigid tapping

Roger

I'm using the generic Haas 4 axis post, for rigid tapping it rounds it to one decimal.  1st question, is this accurate enough to use?  If not, where can I change it?  Post? or Machine definition?  I've been hardcoding to 4 places.

1 hour ago, Roger said:

I'm using the generic Haas 4 axis post, for rigid tapping it rounds it to one decimal.  1st question, is this accurate enough to use?  If not, where can I change it?  Post? or Machine definition?  I've been hardcoding to 4 places.

I use whole numbers for the feedrate and then just multiply to get my spindle speed.

10ipm X 40 tpi = 400 rpm

1 hour ago, C^Millman said:

Post change should be pretty easy. Just need to change the fmt statement. Check and see if there is a switch to do this. 3 Places should be good enough, but 1 place wouldn't make me comfortable either.

Millman, Is this where I should change it?  It looks to me as though it's set for 3 places????

Untitled.jpg

Rodger don't make changes to the fs2 statements, you can use the format change in the ptap post block

ptap$            #Canned Tap Cycle
      pdrlcommonb
      result = newfs(17, feed)  << by adding this line it will change the feed rate for tapping to use fs2 #17 and output 2 decimal places for ipm
      pcan1, pbld, n$, *sgdrlref, *sgdrill, pxout, pyout, pfzout, pcout,
        prdrlout, *feed, strcantext, e$
      pcom_movea

Sorry, Just reread original post currently the fs2 17 is setup to output 2 decimal for inch and 3 decimal for metric, to change that you need change the first value to 3 or 4 By using the newfs in the tapping post block it will only change the feed rate for tapping as long as the original "feed" variable is still set to a different value, in the Gen Haas post I have it is set to use fs2 9

9 minutes ago, CJep said:

Rodger don't make changes to the fs2 statements, you can use the format change in the ptap post block

ptap$            #Canned Tap Cycle
      pdrlcommonb
      result = newfs(17, feed)  << by adding this line it will change the feed rate for tapping to use fs2 #17 and output 2 decimal places
      pcan1, pbld, n$, *sgdrlref, *sgdrill, pxout, pyout, pfzout, pcout,
        prdrlout, *feed, strcantext, e$
      pcom_movea

THANKS!  That works.  But.........The default mill will give you 4 decimal places.  3 or 4 decimals is what I would like to see.

1 minute ago, Roger said:

THANKS!  That works.  But.........The default mill will give you 4 decimal places.  3 or 4 decimals is what I would like to see.

Change the fs2 value for 17 to 4 in the inch column

fs2 17  0.4 0.3      #Decimal, absolute, 2/3 place (tapping feedrate)

• Thanks 1