Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Operations manager acting weird – revisited

kathy

I have a very frustrating problem with two files!

I have been reworking three facesheet programs to a later revision – and when I was working on the fourth when all of a sudden the operation’s manager was showing double operations! So I went back to the third file (when I saved it right after lunch everything was just fine) – and low and behold – double operations too. Files one and two are okay so far.

Now, one of the things that I do is run two Mastercam sessions back to back so I can have one file to reference things from (I do a lot of mixing and matching).

Another weird thing is that is the first ops group was named ‘SETUP’, and now it’s named ‘Stock’. Go Figure

I put the file on Jay’s site under the MC9_files in a .zip file: facesheets.zip

Kathy

I would strongly suggest not running the same file at the same time. Lot's of nasty things can happen when you open the database in 2 different sessions. As a work around, I would consider copying the file to another name and open that file in the second MC session.

'Rekd

+1000 to Rekd .

Me being a great multisession fan never allow myself to do it ,it is simply unpredictable.

I wrote a time ago advicing to implement read-only mode for a file opened more then once ,like it can be setted in autocad.

Kinda any second ,third or so on session can open the file only read only mode.

And if you have network sharing allowing other users to write into your files it can be a catastrophy .

mastercam is not a program build for frameworks ,stations ,big projects ,external references ,distributed work and so this thing is not implemented .

Also keep in mind that if you have two sessions of the same file and on both Autosave turned on to save to the same name you simply killing yourself !

I feel sorry for you ,today I found couple of new bugs ,I lost 2 hours at work ,it drived me mad ,

I lost my temper ,returned home late tired and can not sleep now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HTH

Actually, I had the file I was working on (8023064) open on one Mastercam, and an earlier file (8023063) as reference open on the other. but I do feel that it is the .nci file getting screwed up between the two files.

Iskander - I feel your pain! When I run two sessions of Mastercam, and two files in the same directory, and something crashes, it's usually the 'Reference' file that is saved in the autosave file. Murphy's Law. So relax tonight, and forget about the day. It will all be there tomorrow!

Kathy

teh I can't wait for VX with multiple sessions and no bugs...

No bugssssssssssssssssssss lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololoololololololololol

Ok I can pick myself off the ground hold one here it comes again lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololoololololololololol

Ok sorry guys.

Actually it is not multisession ,I am Ok with that .

iT was silly 2d work a lettering electrode with imported geometry ,which I imported as it is and when I made pocket took geo from window it said geometry not closed .

OK .i changed chaining tolerance and it took it as it ,I made a good bunch of operations (pocket ,a couple of remachining pockets and so on.

I made a file ,sent it through rS232 ,started the machine and went to write next one ( i was in hurry ,some hot-hot work )

after half of an hour I realised that machine stays not moving with alarm illegal arc calculation ,stock ******* overflow .

I thought it was filtering (had it may be 2 times in times of ver7 ) ,I took away filtereing ,reposted ,started once more and still the same .

So I tried a lot of other things always getting it on the same place .

I do not remember why I closed my file ,but when I opened it once more backplot showed me Illegal arc calculation ,sorta!

It was not showing it before closing , curse.gif

And when I made regen I ve got not all contours closed .

Agrrr !

I closed all not closed contour and all was O.K now .

Why Mastercam not showed me illegal arc from the start .

Why I not closed all arcs from the start and trusted chain options manager ,.

Why before closing Mastercam regarded geometry closed ,but after reopening it is not kosher enough ?

I was in hurry but I lost a lot of time .I was programming two operations of a nice 3d part ,where I must think a bit ,as a result I was not doing propper anything .

I can always get away from such situation but I had not known it existed .

I was relaxing ,eaasy task ,me thinking about next work ,smoking and drinking coffee ,

but from this moment all the day was spoiled .

Where is my friend Winnie ,come here ,consolation is a good thing ,the best consolation for an Owl is beer smile.gif

I'm with Ron on this one, Kathy.

If you're expecting an update to version 9 that's bug free, you're going to be disapointed. I believe we're going to be in a whole new (re-written from almost the ground up) world, which means get your can of Raid ready.

Did you change the .nci dest in the old file? That might help.

'Rekd

Kathy were you see a software bugs free?

HiHiHiHiHiHiHiHiHi

More or less maybe but always it's more in an new version ....

Look to Microsoft software banghead.gifbanghead.gif

Iskander I have same problems with regeneration, toolpath, colision, regen after I made modification in tool definition etc.

After I close MC and reopen the file it's work fine banghead.gifbanghead.gif

You are not alone in f...g world of MC HiHiHi

Maybe,like Kathy I'll hope an MC X bugs free

cheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gif

BTW - I just started over on the two bad files. No more multi-sessions and so far so good. I was hoping someone would look at the files and see it there were the duplicate ops on their system!

Don't worry - I don't think it's contagious eek.gif

Thanks for your input guys!

Kathy

quote:

teh I can't wait for VX with multiple sessions and no bugs...

teh like my 16 year old tells me 'Mom - don't you understand what sarcasm is?? "

Kathy I was just poking fun is all. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I feel you pain and deal with this all the time because I am crazy enough to keep multi sessions up all the time also. I pray to someday see a software that is 100% bug free but we all know that will never happen. BTW how is your search going did you get the help you needed?

Scott -

That is exactly what the bug is! (See - now I can't say it's just my graphics !!!) There should be ops 1-11 under 'SETUP' and op 12 under 'REWORK'. Delete one of the ops in SETUP and the duplicates disappear. I'm just glad to see it duplicated on another (and remote) machine. Thank you for taking a look at it…….

I'm still trying to put everything together here on the outsourcing. Still been so flipping busy (the facesheets are running right now - that is how much of a leeway I get on schedule) so to those of you I’ve been talking to – I’ll be in here both Saturday and Sunday. Tomorrow will be a good time to chat, as it isn’t so busy…

Kathy

cool.gif

Kathy,

Did you create another Operation group with the same name as an existing one. I found a bug that if you do that, you get a copy of the ops from the original group. If you delete from the new group, it deletes from the original as well.

banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Just for giggles, when you have a Mastercam file open, Minimize MC, take a look in your Mastercam Temp folder. You'll see all the files the MC uses/creates. With that window still open kill MC and see how many disappear. When doing file comparisons, in multi session, I rename the NCI dest. this eliminated most all the difficulty I was having.

JM2C

First of all ,I do not have problem with multysessions . banghead.gif

Mostly because I never open the same file .all my files I work on are stages saved like myworkop1_1,myworkop1_2 and so on .

The cause you do not have redo/undo (what we have is a joke (one last operation limitied ),IMHO.

That `s right that there are or were programs that do not any ,but there are some that you can undo mostly all stages to the needed ,change what you want and if it still possible ,to proceed further to the stage you were.

I have at least set of files saved by stages that if I `ll find mistake I will have an option to continue with former one or to file /merge from the old stage needed geometry or import operation or god knows what .I make support for a many hours work and it saves a lot of time in case of crash or mistake.

That`s when I open 1 file 2 timwes ,I look on the diffrent stages (different files ).

To open one file twice is really bad idea.

Cause it is unpredictable and risky.

I rename the NCI dest. this eliminated most all the difficulty I was having.

I do not think this will protect you ,because this really matters for posting ,in reality nci file (binary )saved inside MC9.

THe thing that can ruin all in such situation is Autosave feature setted to save to original name you make changes ,the second prorgam autosave saved file without changes what happened next ?!?

It`s hard to tell

I made an experiment ,opened 2 two files with the same name ,in commontemp diorectory i see some files and 2 separate directory .

Looks like some files are common frown.gif

That`s really dangerous !

Why ,I have an interesting idea !!!!

Install Mastercam Demo on your pc and use it as veiwer ,much safer (no autosave function working ,for example )

The best ,use demo design program,sorta supersafe !

Me .I will continue to work multissessions ,because I do not have any probleems (i do not open the same file more than once )

But I agree that to have sorta MDI (multy-document interface )a couple of sessions opened inside one Mastercam will be great ,cool ,and safer a lot .

Waiting for X to come !

Ah, it was just as well I didn't trust my own memory, because it was actually tech. support at CNC that fixed this for me!

What you need to do is right-click on your original Operation Group name and go to Groups. You will need to delete the original Operation Group. Then as if by magic, you are left with your original Op Group (again...), and you then just need to Regen the operations.

It worked on mine, so if you get the same thing again, I hope this will sort it out.