Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

DEFAULTS ADVICE

paulfell

Could someone point me in the right direction regarding changing some defaults, the 2 i am having issues with are:-

1/ If i copy a toolpath - then select a different tool- the speeds/feeds stay the same - unless I right click - re-initialize speeds/feeds, I would like the speeds/feeds from that tool to go in as soon as I click on that tool ?

2/ If i put a new toolpath in an established group of toolpaths assigned with a (nc file number) for posting, the new toolpath defaults to the mcx file name for posting - easy to change - but i want it to default to last nc file number entered or same as group of toolpaths I am adding it to ?

1. Can be done. I have my computer setup this way

Open, File/Configuration/Toolpaths/ Check box for Lock Feedrates unchecked. It should now update everytime you select a different tool. It's a huge pain on lathe tools, but a must have on mill tools.

2. I believe what you're looking for is also possible.

Open, File/Configuration/ Toolpaths Manager/ NC File hit the Last Operation's NC File button.

I don't use this setting, so I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for. If it does work let me know, I might change to using that instead.

Hope this helps you both.

Caleb

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Manofwar said:

1. Can be done. I have my computer setup this way

Open, File/Configuration/Toolpaths/ Check box for Lock Feedrates unchecked. It should now update everytime you select a different tool. It's a huge pain on lathe tools, but a must have on mill tools.

2. I believe what you're looking for is also possible.

Open, File/Configuration/ Toolpaths Manager/ NC File hit the Last Operation's NC File button.

I don't use this setting, so I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for. If it does work let me know, I might change to using that instead.

Hope this helps you both.

Caleb

1.) Be very careful with that. Things WILL get ugly.

2.) I am curious about this one.

7 minutes ago, Mark VIII said:

1.) Be very careful with that. Things WILL get ugly.

2.) I am curious about this one.

I'm curious as to why you'd say that things will get ugly with having "Lock Feedrates" turned off. If you are using this method (you want the feed/speed set by the tool), then just be sure you have "Use Tool's Speed/Feed" enabled in Machine Group Properties.

For this to work well though, you need to be sure you've got a tool setup in the library for each "condition" you are programming for. At least that is what I do.

Also, you can Right-Click on a Tool and use the "Speed Feed Calculator" option to be able to get a true SFM/Feed value, if you are in doubt...

i have had these settings on previous versions of mastercam - just changed in this version( only changed recently) - wanted to know where to change them back

both theses settings are safer in my opinion,

1/ click on a tap in a copied toolpath and it will retain previous speed - could try and tap with a speed of 15,000 rpm ( i've done this on more than 1 occasion)

2/ add a toolpath - it would have a different name to rest of group - it would not post with the rest of group -  not ideal (easy to miss)

i can think of some problems associated with these settings - but having been used to them for many years - i think they are a lot safer than ones i changed

Tried it once. Caused problems. Exactly what, I do not remember. It's one of those things, like when they had a "use default post on startup" button back in V9, that you are not sure of the exact reasons because it has been so long, but you swore to never use it again. I do, however remember the situation behind that default post button. That was an ugly day. A very ugly day. Yeah, was programming and posting a grinding op for a big Fanuc horizontal. Posted the program and shut down MC. Came back and restarted MC to make a simple change. Reposted without thinking of the new setting. MC defaulted to a Mazak, with no H codes. Yeah, ugly.

17 minutes ago, Mark VIII said:

Tried it once. Caused problems. Exactly what, I do not remember. It's one of those things, like when they had a "use default post on startup" button back in V9, that you are not sure of the exact reasons because it has been so long, but you swore to never use it again. I do, however remember the situation behind that default post button. That was an ugly day. A very ugly day. Yeah, was programming and posting a grinding op for a big Fanuc horizontal. Posted the program and shut down MC. Came back and restarted MC to make a simple change. Reposted without thinking of the new setting. MC defaulted to a Mazak, with no H codes. Yeah, ugly.

I've been there. I got in a similar habit with Transform > Mirror. (Not trusting it to make a good part, due to 3D vs. 2D paths.) So I always copy a "as shown" part file, mirror the geometry, and fix my paths. It was worth the extra time involved, just for the peace of mind.

Recently I was able to revisit Transform > Mirror, and there are options now for swapping lead in/out and other stuff that makes it possible to accurately mirror an As Shown, but I still always make sure to make separate Transform Mirror paths, for groups of "2D and 3D" Ops. Basically, if the path is a Surface Path, just mirror it. If the paths are 2D, I mirror and swap lead in/out. I'm not sure I trust it enough to just attempt a single Transform Mirror path, with every Op included...