Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3AX contour follow surfaces

LucasGC

Hello,

I am having trouble finding the right toolpath to do what I want.

basically i have a rectangle with a camber to it, and different thicknesses. the 2d contour path set to 3d almost does what i want, but i can't take into account the thickness variation of my part. Since i only have the bottom curve, i set the maximum thickness, and it makes a cut path all the way around my part at the highest point - which gives me a lot of air cuts where my part is not as thick. I've tried the 3d contour and waterline toolpaths but only get 2d z-ax cuts instead of the tool following the camber of the part.

9 minutes ago, LucasGC said:

I am having trouble finding the right toolpath to do what I want.

3D Contour has no tip offset control, only diameter. So it works where there is nothing "under" the  (XY) profile you are machining, even if the Z value is varying. So if the Z variance is greater than the flute length is where this comes in handy.

You need surfacing toolpaths to machine surfaces.....If the camber is not too great Surface Finish Parallel should do the trick. If that doesn't work post a file if you can so someone can look at your parameter settings.

3 hours ago, nickbe10 said:

3D Contour has no tip offset control, only diameter. So it works where there is nothing "under" the  (XY) profile you are machining, even if the Z value is varying. So if the Z variance is greater than the flute length is where this comes in handy.

You need surfacing toolpaths to machine surfaces.....If the camber is not too great Surface Finish Parallel should do the trick. If that doesn't work post a file if you can so someone can look at your parameter settings.

Well unfortunately it is not just a rectangular shape, so i don't think parallel would work

I was able to get what i wanted by offsetting my bottom surface 2mm at a time and creating intersecting curves with my rectangle, then used regular 3d contour on the curves. Works, not great. 

CONTOUR.mcam

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 1:58 PM, LucasGC said:

Well unfortunately it is not just a rectangular shape

Surface does not need to be a rectangular shape, the shape (profile) is defined by your containment boundary.

Parallel just means that the individual passes will appear parallel in your toolplane view. If there is a lot of Z variation the passes will often deviate wildly in Z to hold parallel in the defined view.

If you have a lot of Z variation on the surface then Surface Finish Contour will generally give a more satisfactory toolpath than Surface Finish Parallel.

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 1:58 PM, LucasGC said:

Works, not great. 

Just had a quick look at the file. Almost any Surfacing toolpath will cope with this (I would still start at parallel tho'). Have you had any "formal" MC training, or are you just figuring it out as you go?