Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam 100% CPU Load

jimspac

Hi Friends,

I was trying to do some work building an EDM electrode with surfaces when I noticed a lack of response while creating fillet radii. I checked in Task Manager and was showing 100% CPU load. I closed down Mastercam and checked task man again and load dropped to 2 %. I opened Mastercam with no open file and found 100% cpu load again. I did the same checks with cadkey 19 and Surfcam 2002 and found no load. My IT manager found the same results on the other 2 computers we are Net Hasped to. Our machines are all Dell Optiplex or Dimension P4 2.5 ghz, 256mg ram, 64mg Intel integrated graphics adapter running Mastercam 9.1 SP2 with Nov 2003 maintenance upgrade. Anyone else having such problems, or is it a "Dell" thing?

Thanks

Thanks Ken. My IT manager heard back from Ruth D from CNC Software today stating that the 100% CPU load is normal and does not affect performance. She further states it has been normal for the 8 years she has been using Mastercam. The IT manager and I are still at differences regarding system config. He showed me specs from mastercam.com showing a Pentium with 32meg was fine. We are using 9.1 SP2 Mill Level 3, Lathe, wire, and Solids. I feel we need 512meg ram and non integrated graphics as we work with parasolids and UG models.

I am glad to hear that it will be taken care of for ver X.

Thanks all

quote:

I use a laptop from the battery and when i run mastercam it drains the battery really fast.

Because the CPU is reporting 100% useage, the fans come on as soon as you start Mastercam

and stay on as long as its open.

My laptop runs MC OK, but the fan gets irritating after a while.

I have a friend who's laptop decides its overheating after 5 minutes of MC and shuts itself off rolleyes.gif

None of the power managment setting wil prevent it

Here's my findings:

MOBO ambient temp: 25 C = constant

CPU temp before launching MC: 35 C

CPU Fan Speed : 3515 rpm

After launching MC I kept it idle for about 10min to reach steady state conditions,

Mobo ambient temp: 25 C = previous value

CPU temp: 47 C eek.gif

CPU Fan Speed: 3688 rpm

Thanks God this issue addressed in version 10. biggrin.gif

Athlon XP 1800

ASUS A7V333

Oh yeah and MC 9.1 SP2 wink.gif

Here's a trick you can use in the mean time. If you walk away from you Mastercam, or leave it idle while you do something else, open any dialog box. Open the Ops Mgr and the CPU goes to 0. Obviously your not going to "wear out" the CPU. But Heat is the enemy. It's especially important if you have 3 PC's in a small office in the middle of summer. Damm things can be like space heaters.

Mike Mattera