Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

curve 5th axis question

Joeyls319

Afternoon everyone,

I got a problem that I've been scratching my head over headscratch.gif for most of the day and I just can't seem to figure it out.

Here's the situation.

I got a concaved part with a pocket in it (.038 deep). the bottom of the pocket is also concaved. (normal with the top surface) it's radiused in the corners and has a .09 radius in the bottom which are normal with the surface.

Right now I'm doing the pocket surface using surface parallel finish with a 3/16 ball with a .006 step over(which is working fine but takes awhile).

What I would like to do is, do most of the pocket surface with a 3/8 with .09R using flowline and output it to 4th axis. I tried this and it works pretty good but I have scallops on the edges.

Here's my dilema, I tried cleaning up the edge with a 3/16 ball, using curve 5th axis, output it to 4th axis. the trouble is that it skips right over the corner radii in the corners. I've tried everything I could think of and a few things that I probably shouldn't of thought of. How can I get it to do the bottom radius of the pocket around the corners and keep it normal with the surface. Hope I explained it well enough. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I would put it on the FTP site but we can't get it to work here at work. sorry

I could supply a picture of the toolpath but I can't seem to paste one in.

Thaks in advance.

Joey

Happy St.Patrick's day cheers.gif

Hi guys

Sorry it took so long to get back to you all. I tried a little bit of this and a little bit of that last night and came up with something that I thought would work. I banged my head till around 10:30 so they could run it during the day. When I got here they had all the parts ran off doing, it the long way and never tried what I came up with last night. (of well that's the way it goes though).

But I am going to try all the other suggestions just so I can learn.

JG, I tried that and the surface was trimmed and I couldn't extend the corners. Thanks anyway.

Jay, Thanks for your patience and help. I'll have to look at it from home because I have trouble accessing your site here at work. I'm not sure if it's IT Department of me. If you could, could you email me a copy of the file. I would like to learn from my mistakes.

Everyone else, Thanks so much for your help.

Joey