Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

lines to surfaces

skulpter

Hello all. I'm shop supervisor at the Univ. of Arizona College of Architecture, and we've recently acquired a small cnc router, which came with Mastercam. I'm a complete novice, but I've learned a whole lot in the last three months that I've been working with it. A primary reason we purchased the machine is to cut smooth contour site models (topographies) accurately, based on GIS topo maps in DWG format. My dilemma is this -- since the digital GIS maps are a series of topographic lines, I need a way of converting those lines into a surface so as to generate surface toolpaths. Is there a way of doing this in Mastercam, or in any other program for that matter? I feel there must be a way, but I have yet to figure it out. We have Autocad, Rhino, Viz 4, Truespace, and Maya. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. banghead.gif

Rhino has a "drape" feature..which basically does exactly that. Drapes a surface over a wire. I've only had the occasion to use it once, and it did work just fine. Amazingly simple to do. A few switches to play with in Rhino (mesh size, density, etc.). If memory serves me, I think I went out of Rhino with a .x_t (parasolid file) right into Mastercam.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

cmr is close - Rhino 'Patch' is the command to use.(Drape is for placing a surface over a mesh object) Rhino can read the DWG file and Mastercam Ver 9 Sp2 can read the Rhino file - no translation needed. (File-Converters-next menu-next menu-Rhino)

Lots of variables in the 'Patch' command. You will have to play with many of them to get what you want. If you need any help I would be happy to be of assistance.

HTH

thx BerTau,

I could'nt exactly remember what the heck I did, it was my first time (any only time!) using Rhino at a friends computer...and the details apparently escaped me! bonk.gifbonk.gif

I think I had a .3ds ??? mesh file that I wanted to get surfaces on.. headscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif

Rhino seemed like a nifty little program, would like to get to know a bit more about it. smile.gif

Thanks for the replies. I've tried both drape and patch on Rhino with limited success -- drape works great on other surfaces or solids, but not with lines (as I recall), and patch only gives a highly "smoothed out" approximation, seemingly regardless of how much I tweak the parameters. However I am still working along those lines.

BTW, Rhino is a really powerful little 3d modeling program, using nurbs. I have found that 3d geometries that use boolean operations need to be saved as IGES files to import cleanly into Mastercam -- something that took many hours of head scratching to finally discover. A full version with 30 saves is available for evaluation at www.rhino3d.com. Thanks again!

Oh, Welcome to the Forum, Skulpter! Sounds like you do some pretty interesting and different work...looking forward to more of it.

Here's what I used Rhino for.. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifLinkPhoto?GUID=4c5543c6-1fb2-5787-4758-1f0b30d45339&size=

Might be hard to see, but it's a human heart cut out of a ole' chunk of Titanium (about 3"x5"x1.5"). Sits in a little box machined out of Purple Heart wood...that was the easy part!. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif