Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

ot/Vertibird

Brendan P

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Glenn is definitely one of the biggest kids I know. biggrin.gif He's ALWAYS turning me on to cool "Old School" stuff.

quote:

...How did we not kill ourselves with the toys we used to play with?...

Easy, we didn't rely on Lawyers to keep us safe. We relied on common sense which seems to be in short supply these days.

James teh hey guys wait for me!!!!!!

JM2C

[ 03-18-2004, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: James Meyette ]

Anyone in here ever have the STP racers? They had a flywheel tire in the middle that you got screamin up to speed with this plastic gear rack draw cord. It would be shooting sparks from a flint grinder up in the body and peeling out leaving black marks on the floor as it tore off.

Oh, Oh, and how 'bout the crank up Evil Kenival motorcycle? That one would peel out while it wheelied away from you (at dangerous speeds by todays standards). We used to build the ramps out of books just like on the commercial. biggrin.gif

Oh to be young and wide-eyed again...

quote:

...How did we not kill ourselves with the toys we used to play with?...

Remember those rockets that were made from hard thick ( usually red transparent ) plastic, that you filled with water and pumped up? They shot like 300 ft straight up at light speed, or you could always shoot them horizontally. They could put a 2ft dia dent in a car from 80 yards. Boy those were the days. In the toy dept you could find them right next to the lawn darts. eek.gif

quote:

Anyone in here ever have the STP racers?

Yes,these things were great.

They had all kinds of cool cars.

I can remember the teeth getting worn out on the t-sticks.

quote:

They could put a 2ft dia dent in a car from 80 yards. Boy those were the days.

Only thing is,that after a while of fallen to the asphalt,they started to leak! rolleyes.gif

I had a vertibird when I was about 6! I think mine was the artic one.

My much older half brother said he would "improve" it for me, then broke a spring in it. Said he'd fix it, but never did. > frown.gif

I had a SPT (although I think they were called SST?) racer, a demo derby one.

That evel Knievel bike stuff was cool. I had both the chopper bike, regular bike, scramble van, and rocket bike (his canyon jumper).

Don't forget the original star wars stuff. I still have my blue border cards.

Water rockets are still sold.

John

You guys are killing me! biggrin.gif

quote:

I always wanted one of those copters as a kid but times were tough. We were so poor rainbows were balck and white. I didn't have any friends growing up so I had to play with my brothers imaginary ones.

EZ3PUTT, you should take your act on the road. That's good stuff!

quote:

They had a flywheel tire in the middle that you got screamin up to speed with this plastic gear rack draw cord. It would be shooting sparks from a flint grinder up in the body and peeling out leaving black marks on the floor as it tore off.

Those were great A-ron! I had a yellow torpedo-looking one. I used to crank it up and then "put it out" on my brothers arm. biggrin.gif Those rubber wheels hurt!

quote:

Remember those rockets that were made from hard thick ( usually red transparent ) plastic, that you filled with water and pumped up?

I had those too, Nominal. I would pump that thing until I couldn't move the pump handle any more, and let 'er fly.

There was something I saw on TV that I wanted more than anything else (and to this day, I don't know why). I think it was called a Pet Ghost. It was this stupid little cheap ghost that was supposed to dance around "all by itself." Come to find out, you actually had to stick these little round stickers on your ear to hold the fishing line that you used to bouce it around. It was ricockulus.

quote:

You should see my wife's collection of Star Wars toys.

Glenn, I had those too. Over 20 of them, including the Space Station. I think it went for $5 in a garage sale about 20 years ago. You never think about keeping that stuff when you're young. frown.gif

We weren't poor growing up, but we were by no means "well off" either. Thinking back now, it seems that we had a lot of neat stuff. We had a Green Machine and a 2 seater Go-Kart. Our dad built us a permanant backstop in the backyard because we played wiffle ball every day, all summer long. We had Atari 2600 with about 50 games. I still have those. We had a 4ft above ground (15ft dia) swimming pool. My brother had Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys, an Erector Set, and a Vertibird. We used to wedge something in the controls to lock it on full bore, then "jump rope" with it. biggrin.gif It was way too fast. Ahh, the memories. cheers.gif

Brendan, check this out.

Thad

quote:

and then jump rope with it.

Thad,you are killing me... biggrin.gif

That is wayyy tooo funny.

You were using it for a jump rope,and I couldn't even afford one! cheers.gif

Yes,I did see this site.

Here is a link to a "vertibird" computer simulator.

I downloaded it at work today.

Yes,and I do get paid also to do this kind of stuff! biggrin.gif

It's pretty cool.

vertibird simulator

Everyone had a Big Wheel (a sit down tricycle thingy) I had a 2-speed super wheel.

It had a 1rst and 2nd gear, and the thing would haul xxxx!!!

I broke it several times, mostly at the rear axle, and my grandfather had to fix it with hard epoxy every weekend.

Jer

Got it!!! There are 2 versions and the one we have is called "Chopper Patrol" it is an army edition where you fly the helicopter forward and backwards, hover as you try to pick up various objects with this hook. The other is a Police edition. I bought this for my son last year at Walmart. I'm sure if you asked they could probably order it if it wasn't in stock(UPC CODE 3870816812). Here are the company vitals; 2001 Jasman Inc

925 W. Thorndale Ave.

Itasca, Illinois

Hope this helps !

Well,it came in the mail today!

Couldn't wait to open it.

I was more excited than my 2 1/2 yr. old son,course he didn't know what was in the box.

Ma had 4 brand new coppertops in the refridgerator waiting to be installed into the toy.

Man this thing is sooo fun. biggrin.gif

Matt...this is what you got to look foward to,especially when Chantz gets a little older buddy. wink.gif

LinkPhoto?GUID=6b9c1218-47a0-2aa0-7cad-2164abe5dd0f&size=

Oops...I didn't shave today!!

LinkPhoto?GUID=1db465d3-3d4b-459e-36c4-1e95199f22c1&size=

quote:

Matt...this is what you got to look foward to,especially when Chantz gets a little older buddy.

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

You mean it gets better than it is now?!?!?

OMG you have no idea how much he changed my life, my views, (well, some of them.. wink.gif ) and my appreciation for learning! Well, you prolly have a pretty good idea.. biggrin.gif

'Rekd