Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Multiaxis CircleMill toolpath question

kool

That is handled in the post, it won't work with multiaxis cuts. you have to create a plane in Mastercam and use the 2d circmill in that plane. You can only output G02 and G03 in TOP, RIGHT or LEFT, FRONT or BACK planes unless your machine supports the creation of new planes but the setup for your post would very complex.

• 4 weeks later...

I have cimco working on this for our DMU 50 post. I don't want I, J, K but just cutter comp g41 and g42. I was told the same thing about planes. We are close to having this working the way I want it.  One would think this is possible since Mastercam gives us the option in Multi Axis Toolpaths. :question:

Guest MTB Technical Services

Has anyone tried using the FBM hole milling functionality for this?

I used FBM at a customer site for 5-axis drilling of several hundred holes that were not normal to the part surface.

It worked perfectly and did it in just a few seconds.

FBM creates workplanes for each hole it drills/mills so this may be a work-around for those who really want 5-Axis Circle Mill with arcs.

Wow! It worked like a charm! I got g2 and g3 plus cutter comp to boot! Thanks Tim! I did struggle at first because I tried FBM Mill. Have to use FBM Drill and disable any pre drilling of the hole if you don't want it. Thanks again! :cheers:

FBM for Hole Machining is one of the best kept 'secrets' in Mastercam.

What is inexplicable to me is why there is essentially zero promotion or documentation of the features and application of FBM.

It truly is an area where Mastercam has a distinct advantage above many of the players in the market.

It would be great to see Colin and eApprentice do some webinars or videos on the application of FBM.

Also, I would like to force it to use a tool of a certain diameter and no matter how I configure the chack boxes it still has a mind of it's own and selects a tool much smaller than what I would use. The hole is Ø.266 and I use a Ø.1875 e.m. FBM wants to use a Ø.125 e.m. :thumbdown:

You need to tell FBM to only select tools within the part file and not to create them.

Also, tighten up on the selection range.

You can force it to do what you want.