Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X8 Mill.set questions

rsbeadle

Hello guys,

I tried this question on the post forum but got no hits so I will try it here.

I have been updating my .set setup sheet for several versions using update post. For X8 I decided to start fresh with the mill.set that came in with the install. I would like to take out duplicate copies of tools and combine the time and minimum z to one output per tool number (unless I force a tool change in the tool path). If I take out the "if op_id$ <> prv_op_id$, ptlchg$" line from ptlchg0$ there are no duplicate tools but the min z outputs in order like the null changes are still there so instead of this:

T12  #5 Centerdrill Z-0.2850 1m
T20 1/4" x 1/2" CARB .03 CR Z-0.0700 2m
T20 1/4" x 1/2" CARB .03 CR Z-0.5620 5m
T111  3/8" x 1.45" x .030 cr.  Z-0.2516 2m
T121  1/4" x 0.95" SGS #36509 .017 cr. Z-0.4985 20m

I get this:

T12  #5 Centerdrill Z-0.2850 1m
T20 1/4" x 1/2" CARB .03 CR Z-0.0700 7m
T111  3/8" x 1.45" x .030 cr.  Z-0.5620 2m
T121  1/4" x 0.95" SGS #36509 .017 cr. Z-0.2516 20m
T131  3/16" x 0.95" SGS #36507 .012" cr. Z-0.4985 43m

I am hoping that someone has overcome this problem that can help me out or send me a copy of the default version of mill.set that has been changed to work without null outputs the way that it did in earlier versions. I can zip my file and post it if anyone wants to play around with it, but if the default file can changed I can make my personal changes after or if someone could point me to the code I need to change that would be great too.  Thanks in advance.

Hello Steve,

If you are willing to share the files, I'd be happy to teach you how to make these edits. Anyone is welcome to join the discussion as well, but the software I use to do the presentation has a limit of 25 attendees. I'll post up the recording to YouTube for those that can't make it.

I'm starting a new "Posts Q & A" session that I'll be hosting on Friday evenings. This is a free session, and the purpose is to have an open forum where aspiring post writers can ask post questions and get answers.

Hopefully posting this link doesn't violate the TOS for Emastercam. Mods, if my post is a violation, please accept my apologies and remove the link (or I would be happy to). My goal is simply to help give back to the community here at Emastercam. This website has done an amazing amount of good for my career and I'd like to repay the favor.

Please register for How to edit DOT SET Files to produce Setup Sheets on Friday, October 3, 2014 5:30 PM - 7:00 PM PDT at:

https://student.gototraining.com/r/4544376477083257856

I'll be doing a "Post Processing Q&A" session this coming Friday. Our topic for the night is editing "Dot SET" files, (.SET), which are post-processor based setup sheets and/or tool lists.

After registering you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the training.

Brought to you by GoToTraining®
Online Training Made Easy™
Citrix Online | 7414 Hollister Avenue | Goleta, CA 93117

• Like 1

That's great to hear Tony! I feel like we barely got started. There were about 20 more subjects that I wanted to jump into while I was going over the content. Still, sometimes it is just best to start at the beginning and go one step at a time. We did get some great questions at the end, so I'll have to do a follow up session to cover the questions I didn't get a chance to answer.

I got the correct files zipped in this time. I also added a mcx-8 file and two .doc files. The sbeadle.set file is updated from our old one. The sbeadlebak.set file is my revised file from the new version. The old file only outputs one instance of the tool and combines the z depth to use the max depth but does not correctly figure drilling times. The new file I have added a time per tool. It outputs the drilling time correctly but I can't get it to output only one instance of the tool without causing problems with the minimum z depth.

Thanks again Colin for the great web training. I am looking forward to the next one.

DOT_SET_FILES.zip

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Steve,

No, you didn't miss it. I've been so busy I just forgot to schedule the next session. Now that I've got a copy of the correct files, we should be able to get this fixed no problem.

I've scheduled another session for tomorrow evening at 9 PM Eastern Time. That would be 6 PM for anyone on the West Coast. Sorry for the short notice. I hope you can make it...

Please register for Mastercam Dot SET Files - Part 2 on Friday, October 24, 2014 9:00 PM - 10:00 PM EDT at:

https://student.gototraining.com/r/4776238191137579264

This training session will cover customization of the Dot SET file in Mastercam.

After registering you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the training.

Brought to you by GoToTraining®
Online Training Made Easy™
Citrix Online | 7414 Hollister Avenue | Goleta, CA 93117

Colin, I also noticed that my Z depth are not correct even when the null tool changes are output. I must commented out something that I shouldn't have. I don't think I removed any code from the original so everything should be there. I just added a "#" to stop the output of some items and changed some switches to stop some others. I look forward to another great learning experience tomorrow night.

Thanks,

Hi Steve,

After doing some more testing, I think we were basically finished with the changes we made. I was thinking we had to add some extra logic, and have different flow control between Actual/Null toolchanges. Turns out I was over-thinking it. I commented out two lines of code in the 'pwritbuf1' post block, and it fixed the issue.

Check out the attached SET file. After commenting out the code that changes the value of 'b1_gcode', the buffer lines store the data with the correct '1000' or '1002' gcode value, which indicates if the operation is a Null or an Actual toolchange. Making those two changes, and removing the call to 'psetup' in the 'ptlchg0$' post block means you only get 1 entry in your tool list per tool, but the Min Z Depth is still reported, and it does scan the Null Tool Changes.

Now, what it won't do is check to see if a tool is used multiple times in different places in your program. So if you program with T1, then use T2, T3, and T4, and then switch back to T1, you will get get 5 tool listed in your tool list. The Tool List will show the entry for T1 at the end of the list again. Your old V9 SET file did this as well. This is because there is no existing logic in the Mastercam post (or SET files, which is just a post with a different extension) that will let you check and see if a tool is used more than one time.

Hope that helps,

Colin

• Like 1

I think it wouldn't be too much work to have the post search through the buffer to capture the deepest depth for any given tool number. We would need to add a record to the buffer to track the tool number, and create a lookup table to track the number of times each tool has been used. Then using that info, we could loop through the entire buffer and get the absoute Z min value for each tool. That way your list will work as expected. (You already know this, but currently your post just looks at the first occurance of each tool.)

By the way, I've got another free Webinar coming up on "Basic Post Processing". I'll post a link once we've got it scheduled...

After preliminary testing everything looks good. I made setup sheets for 5 or 6 files and everything came out good. Thanks again Colin for all the help.

One question: Where does the name of the windows user get pulled from? I have one computer that had a user name from the previous programmer that I would prefer not to change. I can remove the variable call and just comment it in, but if I can change the name without changing the windows log in name everything will work out.  Thanks again.

• 4 years later...