Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

speeds for .5mm end mill in 316ss

Joel Schreiner

I went to the OSG website and found no feed or speed recomendations. Usually manufacturers have some litature available. I look up a similar tool, with the same coating in a competators catalog or website. It won't be exact but a good start. I haven't used OSG other than for taps but they are good cutters from what I've heard of them here on the forum.

S8000 f80 take-off 0.05 mm each cut .

if proportion height/diameter less than 3 add feed,more -feed slowly.

BTW I have 3 fluted 0.5 mm tools very heavily built ,so you can move faster.

But never move less than 0.05 -0.03 mm ,you`ll kill your tool ,this is not high speed machining ,the tool must cut !!!!!!!1

You alwais have a dilemma :

what `s better to cut or to lick ?

If you have far less speed than you need to cut is better .

If you will lick with low speed you`ll ruin tool very fast ,so you will not succeed anyway.

I have 8000 rpm and my 0.3 end mill works on copper days and my 0.5 mill life on steel is also good .

Once I worked on machine with only 4000 rpm and took this principle from that days - low speed big take off and reasonable feed and good results !

If you afraid make your feed f240 and take off 0.01 mm and see what`s better

when in doubt burn it out.You got an edm there?

I am all for milling but one cutter .02 x .5 reileved, nah I cut down to .012 ribs but no where near that depth.

Try it thats the only way to find out,8000 rpms I

havent been faced with that dilema - but I would try about 1.5 to 2 ipms .0005/.0007 d.o.c you gotta consider the length my air preesure if pointed dirctly at that would snap it off.

in the words of Crazy Mill man -

Dont be afriad to try something new.

Corey teh me and TREV are sissys Iskander da man

I would like to see footage of milling a .02 wide slot .5 deep with only 8000 rpms and a .002 step down at 3.2 inches per minute, I do alot of tedious **** with 42,000 rpms and I wouldnt take that on with one endmill.

8000*.0002*2=3.2

I only have one slot 20mm ramped from full depth to nothing. I'm sorry I thought you meant 80 ipm just didn't think. I think I will try .002"doc with .0002 ipt. Thank you for all your help.

It will be a couple of hours before I cut it so If you think of anything else please let me know.

One other thing should I use coolant or air?

joel

Let`s say this is a tool 5 mm 120 mm long 2 flutes (10 times bigger ) and you must do the same .

How many times you`ll drop the tool speed to get rid of the chatter while slotting 0.1 mm on steel ?(5 times ,10 times ?)S3800 for short tool looks frightful ,right ?

and I think this is not strait analogy ,0.05*12 mm less rigid .

Sorry for misunderstanding and fooling of everyone !

Standart mill has a fute length 3*d.

it means for 0.5 -1.5 max .

Now a rigid cyllinder is a proportion dia/height 1/5 .

Your tool is completly not rigid ,you can broke it with a metal touch .

So don`t run it fast and you have enough speed for such a tool ,you will not run it faster anyway .

And coolant -water ,I think .

Good luck .

Joel,

sounds kinda like you may want to start off with or close to my numbers,Iskander thinks you should drop the rpms Normally I garee to reduce chatter at lenghths over 3*dia but I rarely back off rpms at tools under 1/32 - also what kind of flute legnth you have, you actually want little flute length and solid body through the reach.