Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam 2020 Constantly shuts off without warning.

16 hours ago, Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc. said:

"...Yeah, there is data being stored in the database that shouldn't be there, if you run a database search and do not check the alive bit you can access geometry from parts in mcx files that you opened hours before. Those definetly should not be there..."

Entities that still exist but are not 'alive' are still in the database for the purposes of 'undelete'. There is not a separate place where they can be held (maybe someday...)

They will be gone after you save and re-open the file, or if  you run RAMSaver (oops... File/RepairFile) .

So if I understand I can release some memory by saving and reloading or running repair file.

Would there be a way to programmatically free the excess/deleted entities?

36 minutes ago, byte said:

Is that what that does!! Hmmm thank you, very good suggestion.

Haven't crashed once today.

You running into what I have suspected for years like others with Mastercam. The memory leak.  With what you're doing it is being exposed on a grand scale. The limiting of undo would probably eliminate a lot of my problem also so I will be limit it to 20 events and see if my sessions become more stable. 

15 minutes ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

You running into what I have suspected for years like others with Mastercam. The memory leak.  With what you're doing it is being exposed on a grand scale. The limiting of undo would probably eliminate a lot of my problem also so I will be limit it to 20 events and see if my sessions become more stable. 

So far so good on my end.

1 hour ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

There is a substantial performance loss from the mc logger I closed mine.

3 minutes ago, cncworker said:

MoldPlus kept making my computer do that.  ( shut off without warning )  I uninstalled it.  Works fine ever since.

Hmm, I need MoldPlus though, the Catia Conversion takes significantly longer without it.

22 minutes ago, Aaron Eberhard - CNC Software said:

Are any of you guys able to reproduce the crash/restart?  If so, please get steps in to your reseller or [email protected] so they can track it down.

There's not a lot of CNC people who hang out here like Pete and I, so you'll probably get better visibility of repeat problems on the official forum.

Thank you I try to do my part and report issues. 😉

1 minute ago, Aaron Eberhard - CNC Software said:

I know you do, Ron :) I was more referring to others :)

We all got to do our part to help. Everyone of us uses it differently and the most people reporting issues and sharing their user experience the better data is collected to narrow down issues. The developers don't have an easy job and for the most part it is a thankless job at best, but someone has to do it and they do their best making Mastercam do what it does.

• Like 1
On 4/30/2020 at 8:49 AM, 5th Axis CGI said:

Or use the limit amount of undo also.

This somewhat works, however if you delete lets say a 1000 entities at once all that goes into the memory, Pete's suggestion of repair file will clear the memory, but to avoid it I wrote a C++ function to delete the entities, then when I run repair file it says the database is empty.

I will add the functions to my python for mastercam NEThook, testing will take some time of course! Test tes Test.

I had one or two memory leaks today, but it is a looooot better.

I will need to to more extensive studies on if tying a function to the OnNotifyRepaint was actually the cause. 

I will send the report to QC when/if I have the results.

10 minutes ago, Aaron Eberhard - CNC Software said:

Yes, please report even the ones you find running your custom scripts & c/net-hooks.  I know that my toolpath team works with the API guys when there's problems like that reported, so they get handled just like any other defect.

I will do my best, in this case I may be chasing a phanto, I have been using mastercam maybe 10 years, it has always been known to crash.

In my Cnc programming exam for lathe, I had 30 minutes left, and it crashed, and i did not save!!!! 😱 I was so panicked, in the end, I did finish in time!

Since then I save every minute.

Anyway, I could try to figure it out but tbh I think it may be beyond me, but I will try!

1 minute ago, Aaron Eberhard - CNC Software said:

Files > Configuration > Files > Autosave / Backup.   Automate that stuff :)   I used to turn that on for my customers in the default install when I was reseller.

Hmmm if one of those does not overwrite that might be okay.. I have definetly thought about it.

Haha, I don't think I would like that as a default.

It is cool you used to be a reseller and now you work for CNC

Just now, Aaron Eberhard - CNC Software said:

You can have it overwrite or not, your choice.  My preference is to automatically overwrite without prompting, and have 10 backups, but to each their own.

Interesting, I will try, I have been trying a lot of new things lately. Like I shut off all the notifications for deleting toolpath/drafting associated  entities, its risky business but i save tiiiiiime.

There's quite a few of us in that position here, actually.  We also have a decent few who worked at OEMs, which I also was..  I was a combo :)

I worked for Centroid (http://centroidperformanceracing.com/), we made machines to do cylinder head & block work, and we used Mastercam to do our programming.

3 minutes ago, byte said:

Interesting, I will try, I have been trying a lot of new things lately. Like I shut off all the notifications for deleting toolpath/drafting associated  entities, its risky business but i save tiiiiiime. 

Yeah, you can ignore a lot of warnings before your engine blows up :)

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Aaron Eberhard - CNC Software said:

There's quite a few of us in that position here, actually.  We also have a decent few who worked at OEMs, which I also was..  I was a combo :)

I worked for Centroid (http://centroidperformanceracing.com/), we made machines to do cylinder head & block work, and we used Mastercam to do our programming.

Mastercam #1 ! My last job before this one had Mastercam, but they wanted us to program everything in gcode by hand hahah!

Some of the products of one company i worked at in the past look veeeery similar to the ones on that centroids front page! 

I noticed when I read the sdk docs and they talk about the application of using certains functions for machining it definetly appeared to have been written by someone who had seen a machine up close at some point, or had a very good understanding.

Where I work we get new programmers who have never seen Mastercam or a Machine before, and then we train them..

Since they are engineers they must be qualified to program CNC Machines !!!

:D

ok hr, you are the boss!