Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lathe WCS

pro grammer

2 hours ago, pro grammer said:

Why can't we copy a process from one lathe machine group and paste it to another and be able to change the WCS to the current one unless we export the process and import it back in? The way the lathe WCS's are handled are a headache.

Agree is can be much better. Lathe is getting an overhaul and not sure you going to like the automatic planes any better like MT does they are porting it over from. 

• 4 months later...
7 minutes ago, kunfuzed said:

So I've been out of the game since 2017.  Now I have 2021.  Is anything new here?  Like can I leave the solid in "aircraft coordinates" and bring my WCS to the model?  And can I do Lathe and Mill ops in the same file without moving the imported solid to Top view?

Yes you can do that. I have many files with Lathe and Mill groups. I also have parts that I am doing Mill/Turn work on and have the Lathe group doing the Turning and Milling. The WCS is the key and make sure you define it before making the lathe group. I have found issues creating the lathe group then trying to tie it to the correct Stock Plane for Lathe. I may have 2nd, 3rd and 4th operations on a part and have only model, but several different WCS planes to work from. The key is aligning the Turning plane correctly for the machining Center you are programming for. If a Horizonal Mill/Turn then a lot easier than working with a Vertical Mill/Turn. Once you figure it out make a template file and save it under the machine directory so you can always go back and reference it if you need to. I have over a 100 different machines I can go back and reference when I need to. 

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Yes you can do that. I have many files with Lathe and Mill groups. I also have parts that I am doing Mill/Turn work on and have the Lathe group doing the Turning and Milling. The WCS is the key and make sure you define it before making the lathe group. I have found issues creating the lathe group then trying to tie it to the correct Stock Plane for Lathe. I may have 2nd, 3rd and 4th operations on a part and have only model, but several different WCS planes to work from. The key is aligning the Turning plane correctly for the machining Center you are programming for. If a Horizonal Mill/Turn then a lot easier than working with a Vertical Mill/Turn. Once you figure it out make a template file and save it under the machine directory so you can always go back and reference it if you need to. I have over a 100 different machines I can go back and reference when I need to. 

Thank you!  Good to hear!