Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3D tool-insert mating

Globetrotter

Hello everyone, 

I'm designing some 3D tools and have one small problem. I hope you can help. 

When I try to mate the insert in the holder I can't positionig the insert in the correct way. I've been playin with parallel, perpendicular ect. and no matter which surface and then edge I choose insert is always too deep, like on the picture. 

Od course I made it work by using "transform" ---> "dynamic" and I was able to set the insert up but it is not perfect. 

Any ideas how to properly use mating section in 3D tool creator?

Thank you in advance for any seggestions.

206212105_1786891391514788_4316395018990259379_n.jpg

205777882_165009242331385_2488953927502627287_n.jpg

205677198_545469106451541_3514953258367135192_n.jpg

205551037_138377671639308_4637829053823096329_n.jpg

I guess I cheat a bit and assemble the insert with the holder in Mastercam design session and then save the model already assembled and paired up, insert in position. Then I use that model in my 3D tool. You don't have to worry about using the 3D tool insert mating methods. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, cam-eleon said:

I guess I cheat a bit and assemble the insert with the holder in Mastercam design session and then save the model already assembled and paired up, insert in position. Then I use that model in my 3D tool. You don't have to worry about using the 3D tool insert mating methods. 

That is how I do it and never look back.

• Like 2

Thank you guys! I've used Solid and it resolved all my problems. I'd have one more question. I noticed that I can "attach" few inserts under one holder. How to do it properly? I've been playing with cutting definition but I can't figure it out because it seems that I have to replace existing insert with other one (?). Is it possible to have in tool library only one holder, for example boring  bar and just change the inserts in settings somehow?

11 hours ago, Globetrotter said:

Thank you guys! I've used Solid and it resolved all my problems. I'd have one more question. I noticed that I can "attach" few inserts under one holder. How to do it properly? I've been playing with cutting definition but I can't figure it out because it seems that I have to replace existing insert with other one (?). Is it possible to have in tool library only one holder, for example boring  bar and just change the inserts in settings somehow?

Yes one way is where you build the components to make the Lathe Tools. Like the example here you would go find the model for that insert and load it into the tool. Then you would mate the different top notch inserts into that holder.

The way I like to do it is build the solid in a Mastercam file with all the different inserts on different levels. I then save out each solid with a name of the insert as the last part of the name. Then when you add the inserts you are just picking the holder with that insert name to get the correct location of the insert to the holder and no mating should be required in the 3D tool manager.

Edited by crazy^millman
Clear up some confusion.

Thanks  for the replay. I'm fighting with this right now. I have some problems. 

I have my boring bar (with CNMG 432 insert), I open tool manager and select "add new insert". I also created separate level with CNMG 431 insert. Problem is that after selecting cnmg431 MasterCAM set the insert like on the picture and also creates a "temporary level" which mess things up. What am I doing wrong? 

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

The temporary level should be just used for the process of creating the tool. Once you align it then you should be good to go and that level should go away. I make each bar with insert a separate tool haven't tried the process I talked about before. I have never tried the process of adding many inserts to the one holder sorry I wasn't clear about that and created some confusion. What I am not seeing on the last screen shot is the insert selection area of the 3D tool holder process. I am only seeing the holder with the insert added. You must add the additional insert in the insert area not the holder area.

Here I did it and added a CNMG-432 Insert and then a CNMG-431 Insert. Like I thought once they are build on the same holder and saved out with different names it is just the process of picking the insert and everything falls into place.

image.png.25fcb6636dc311773beb1314481c8f1e.png

image.png.5e6614b098033c7b6bf726887603b134.png

• Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...
On 7/7/2021 at 3:21 PM, Globetrotter said:

Just noticed that when I'm running in MasterCAM "verify selected operation", the simulation shows collision because in the holder sit two inserts and simulation see it. No problem in simple backplot. This is how should be or can I do something about it? 

I have been having this same issue when trying to setup multiple inserts for 1 tool. its driving me crazy. hopefully someone has a simple answer. i see this was a while back. its hard to believe there is still an issue 2 years later. 

as you can see below my (.008 rad insert) is over laid with my (.015 rad insert). they are 2 different inserts and cutting defs. 

image.thumb.png.f3ad52beb0a852cccfad7db0816a830d.png

4 hours ago, Neversummer22 said:

I have been having this same issue when trying to setup multiple inserts for 1 tool. its driving me crazy. hopefully someone has a simple answer. i see this was a while back. its hard to believe there is still an issue 2 years later. 

as you can see below my (.008 rad insert) is over laid with my (.015 rad insert). they are 2 different inserts and cutting defs. 

image.thumb.png.f3ad52beb0a852cccfad7db0816a830d.png

Not to be an arse here. However two years in Software development may seem like a short time, but its really not.

Put a sample file with a basic toolpath and have the solid models you are trying to build the tools with on levels. Then someone can attempt to help you solve the problem and teach you how to not run into again like I did before in this thread. 

• Like 1