Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Obviously O/T: Night Shift Blues

chris m

offtopic.gif

O/T Alert - this thread has no redeeming value whatsoever

I just started my 2-week 'turn' as the night supervisor today [i got to play day shift supervisor for the past 2 weeks] and, I must say, the night shift sucks. I don't know how many of you night posters are 2nd shift guys and how many are at home, but of the night-workers; do you like it? Or were you forced into it?

I've worked days pretty much my entire life and don't really dig working til midnight.

Nights are for drinking

C

Chris,I was wondering where you went??

I worked 2nd shift for about 6 years,and then also became night supervisor.

I actually liked it cause I would never have to put up with my wife's crap! tongue.gif

When I came to our engineering dept. to do programming,I had to go back to days.

The worst thing is not being able to see your kids enough!

Good Luck.

BTW,are you still gonna be programming or now just "baby-sitting"?

Is this a permanent position for you?

[ 04-20-2004, 06:09 AM: Message edited by: BUCKET HEAD ]

Chris,

My mom always told me to get a job working 3rd shift because I was always up at night, and wanted to sleep during the day. I'm sure Jimmy wouldn't mind me working at night, but I would also have to be here at 8:30 am the next morning! So I don't think I will be doing that. Hope you enjoy working at night though, you should be able to clean up your desk now with all the spare time you have biggrin.gif

I've always worked 2nd shift as a machinist, even went to tech school 2nd shift after a full days job.

I always thought I'd hate it, but I actually enjoy it for the most part. Fewer pages over the PA system, damn few politics from the more entrenched senior day shift, and few interuptions in general.

Downside is what has been mentioned, not seeing the kids much. I don't see my daughter during the week, and my son only a few hours a day (pre-k).

The nice thing about the company, is that it is very flexible as to hours. Start times, taking time off for family things, etc. We also aren't expected to do Friday overtime (4, 10 hour days here) if we can't.

We can also use the machines for our own projects on our own time, and thats a bonus for 2nd shift, cause we don't have to compete for machines with the 4 person 3rd shift. smile.gif

John

I'll probably be here on 2nd for a long time to come.

John

Hi Chris,

I put in many years on the 2nd shift and at that time in my life I loved it. We also did 4-10 hour days so the long weekends were good. I now have three kids and (I know it sounds crazy, but,) I enjoy spending time with them a lot. Just yesterday I returned from two weeks of 2nd shift exile myself and I will try to not do it again for a while. Not having all the hassels of the day shift was nice but I prefer coming home when my family is awake. I missed some good playoff hockey as well but since both Vancouver and Boston are off golfing now that shouldn't be too big an issue. (Go Habs Go)

Last point. It's not as much fun on the forum when there are only a handful of members signed on either. It's hard to get into a heated flame war when you have to wait 24 hours for a response to a provocative comment.

Good luck with your P.M.S.

you know pm. shift

Phil

I'm also working the second shift. I'm pretty much with John on everything. I'm also with Chris, nights are for drinking, that's why I work the nightshift. Just kidding. Comparing both, I think nights can be much more productive. I just have to work on the dayshift to better communicate important issues with us.

Hang in there!!

Scot

Good Day,

Many people I know love it...and for THEE

one best reason...

NO crazy managers, owners, and anyone important

just nice and Quiet. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

You couldnt me on it

Tony G

X Beta site

Almost Employed Senior Programmer

N.E Massachusetts - Southern New Hampshire

End mills and tooling are like The "AMMO"

And coolant and chips are like the enemy

Under your boots as you advance in the

Manufacturing Battle

--------------------------------------------------

quote:

just nice and Quiet

It has it's charm.

13.5 years for me. tongue.gif First 7 were OK but the last 3 or so sucked. Almost killed off my family. Had to quit 3M to get a day job.

It can be a good opportunity to run machines that the oldtimers have their lock on during day shift in some shops.

Two week shift rotations must be nasty.

One night I had to pick someone up at the airport at about 3 AM, and left work to do it. I looked around at all the bleary-eyed travelers and just wanted to shout out,"Now you so'n so's know how crappy I feel every day of my life." But I didn't.

quote:

Two week shift rotations must be nasty

I'm just on day 2 now and had to work my regular moonlight job this morning cuckoo.gif because I'm here when I'm usually there banghead.gif

So far I've had 4 no-shows in the 2 days I've been here at night so its been relatively quiet; doing some maintenance stuff we never get to do, working on some projects I never get around to. That part's not bad, the drive home starting here at midnight and getting home around 1AM sucks, though.

I also feel pretty out-of-the-loop with the regular goings on here.

I'll deal with it, I guess; go home, have a beer and sleep the slumber of the righteous[ly tired], dreaming of Angels...

C

I've worked 2nd and 3rd shift for 31 out of 35 years. The only time I worked days was when I was going to school and some classes weren't offered during the day schedule.

The last time I worked days was August 1980. I have been on 2nd shift since that time.

I would not have it any other way.

I just called a meeting with managment today, I have been on nights several times, this time we are close to a 8 months period. I will do almost anything for this company but with a 3 year old, and a 13 year old who starts softball, I am done, please get me back on days, half the weekend is gone if I want to do something outside, I dont get out til around noon, and I still would like to stop doing stuff around 4 so I have a changes to wash up and enjoy the weekly dinner I get with my famely.

But from a work perspective, night rocks, no idiots, no phone calls, no nothing.

Lars

Hockey:GO HABS GO

It could be worse.

Sunday 8am till 6pm

Monday 3am till 6pm

Tuesday 6am till 6pm saw family 9pm what time is it 12:30am Wenesday

I have almost 40hrs in three days and dont see any let up until hopefully next week.

I was always told to work half days, the other 12hrs I could do what I wanted.

Gotta love my job, at least thats what I keep telling myself.

quote:

I have almost 40hrs in three days

Been there done that.....on salary though. Thankfully it only happens occasionally.

quote:

I was always told to work half days, the other 12hrs I could do what I wanted.

LOL, I like that. It doesn't seem so bad if you look at it that way. biggrin.gif

Just curious, why don't you have Mastercam listed under the CAD/CAM Systems on your website?

Oh husband Oh husband, I tremble with fear

You've been on the night shift for nearly a year

And since you are gone all through the night

A real piece of a$$ seems way out of sight

Oh husband, dear husband don't be a fool

Working the night shift is ruining your tool

It's better to go hungry the rest of your life

Than to bring home a pe@%er that's dead to your wife

I've always been happy as your little wife

But without any nookie it's a hell of a life

When you come home, you can hardly creep in

I feel like Scr@&ing but you'd rather sleep in

Each morning dear husband when you go to bed

Your intentions are good but your pe@$er is dead

I play with your pe@$er so wrinlked and dry

I get so damn mad i could lay down and cry

I have pleaded dear husband, with tears in my eyes

I have played with your %@lls but your pe@$er won't rise

So i'll get me a man who works through the day

And at night when your gone i'll get a good lay

For in all of this world there is only one sin

For which there is no pardon, or never has been

And that is a man who is foolish and mean

Who gives up his screwing to run a machine.