Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Importing step 242 file with MBD/PMI data into MCX

kool

Our customers are pushing us to use the STEP 242 file format. I have done some testing on MC2021. When I import step 242 files, MC creates a different View-sheet/Level/Plane for every dimension in the step 242 file. I had one part that had over a thousand dimensions. It took forever to open that file. 

Is there a better way to import step 242 files with MBD data into MCX?  

Is there any hope that MC will do anything to improve this?

47 minutes ago, kool said:

Our customers are pushing us to use the STEP 242 file format. I have done some testing on MC2021. When I import step 242 files, MC creates a different View-sheet/Level/Plane for every dimension in the step 242 file. I had one part that had over a thousand dimensions. It took forever to open that file. 

Is there a better way to import step 242 files with MBD data into MCX?  

Is there any hope that MC will do anything to improve this?

2023 will support this process better. Might get a hold of your dealer and get in the Beta program so you can test this with these files. They need people testing these types of files so what you are doing would be a perfect fit and help to them.

• Like 1

MC creates a different View-sheet/Level/Plane for every view in the step 242 file that contains annotations ... not for every dimension.

"...They need people testing these types of files so what you are doing would be a perfect fit and help to them...." 

Where's that "thumbs up" icon....

We've put a lot of effort into the last several releases into importing the dimensions (we call them 3D Annotations to distinguish between them and MC's standard 2D dimensions) and the data they contain - so if anyone wants to point out any issues with the importer, please let me know.

Attached is a MC2021 file imported from NX. nist_ctc_04.mcam

And here's the result of 'Analyze'-ing one of the Annotations ... note that the data contains the value and tolerances and knows what holes it refers to:

image.png.ac01b58984cbdb724bd5997e634b08f8.png

Edited by Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc.
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Hi Pete,

Thanks for some insight. I have a few more questions.

"MC creates a different View-sheet/Level/Plane for every view in the step 242 file that contains annotations ... not for every dimension."

This may not be a Master Cam issue, But this is what is happening in my case. It could be the STEP242 file the customer send us. The file was created from NX CAD system.

Is there an option in NX not to create a view for each dimension?

May I send you the file and you can test it on your side?

The sample file attached above, Is this a NX native file format or Step242.

Can you share a native NX file format or Step242 for me to test?

Kool,

I received your STEP file - thanks for following up.

I can verify that in MC2021 and MC2022 I am seeing viewsheets be created for each Annotation.  In MC2021 and MC2022 we will import both Planes and Views that have Annotations on them, and in this file the Planes are defined for each Annotation … and then the Views are properly defined to contain multiple Annotations. (None of the other STEP files I've been working from - customer files and NIST examples - show this type of association to the Planes).

But, the good news is that this has been addressed already in MC2023 via smarter import of Planes and Views. The results I get using the Tech Preview releases of MC2023 show that viewsheets are no longer being created for each Annotation - only for the Views.

I noticed that there is not any 'semantic' data (i.e. the actual dimension or tolerance values) coming in with the Annotations in this file - other than what appears in the displayed graphical data (which is all just polylines). The specification of semantic data in STEP files has been evolving, so I see it in some STEP files and not in others.

I also noticed that MC2021 has trouble bringing in the Solid Body, while MC2022 and MC2023 are more successful at that.

Thanks for  sending the file along. I appreciate your taking the time to do that.

Pete

• Like 1