Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Moving/Rotating Solid Faces - Gnomon Issue

SuperHoneyBadger

Disclaimer/Info: MC 2022, with a native solid made by extruding wireframes. Using the Move command to select the faces.

Trying to use Move to rotate the outer vertical faces of the pocket shown in (fig. 1) to make a little room for the part in the jaw. The corner rads and back face will locate it enough, so I don't want contact on the sides.

When I select the faces I want to rotate (fig. 2), I get a gnomon to specify the origin of the transform. Unlike other transforms, the first movement of the grey dot where the axes meet applies a transform op to the faces (fig.3) - I would expect this action to only move the gnomon to my desired center of rotation/transform, and then be able to rotate the selection.

Is there a way to move the gnomon to a point without moving my geo? Or are my CAD expectations showing through for this tool?

12-14-21_1.png

12-14-21_2.png

12-14-21_3.png

See the little light icon below the gnomon click it and then you can place it any where you want to move the geometry. Be careful to click it back to take it out of move transform mode back into move your geometry mode. It is lightened and I have asked it not be so users understand it is there and not overlook it. That was 3 versions ago so maybe by 2025 it will be finally not shaded, but left highlighted so other users can see it and use it.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
43 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

See the little light icon below the gnomon 

Another icon or button that my lizard brain always sees, but has never activated. I always thought that initial activation of a Dynamic Transform was my only chance to move the origin of translation, and felt it was clunky in that regard. This will be a daily driver for me now.

Thanks as always!

1 hour ago, SuperHoneyBadger said:

Another icon or button that my lizard brain always sees, but has never activated. I always thought that initial activation of a Dynamic Transform was my only chance to move the origin of translation, and felt it was clunky in that regard. This will be a daily driver for me now.

Thanks as always!

I use it all the time. I ad to rotate some vectors today and use thee mid between two points to start the transform. I then used this to move the gnomon to the center of something else to help finish the rotation and done.

Glad I could help. Have a good day. :thumbup:

• Thanks 1