Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

need help with blend operation

aaron tabor

I'm following a mastercam advanced milling tutorial, I enter all the parameters the way the books says. But instead of cutting the part even and flat its cutting the part at an angle towards a center point.  I am hoping someone can take a look at it and see what could be wrong I tried somethings but could not figure it out.

TUTORIAL 2 WIREFRAME_ EXCERCISE with tool paths.emcam

See the attached file. Your toolpath was fine, you needed to start the file with a "Stock model" according to the tutorial. Your Solid model didn't have the inside hole cut through it.

Some points to focus on:

1. Always select a holder with your tool selection

2. Label you levels accurately

3. Use a different colour for your "Stock Model" to make it easier to identify

4. Always add comments in the tool section.

5. Start using View Sheets and label them.

TUTORIAL 2 WIREFRAME_ EXCERCISE_JF.emcam

• Like 2

I tried adding a stock model to the original file then re-generated the blend tool path but its still cutting at an angle.  Also I can't regenerate the toolpaths on your file but I matched the parameters from your blend operation to mine and it still cuts at an angle I added the current file so feel free to take another look.  I appreciate the help

tutorial 2 review.emcam

1 hour ago, aaron tabor said:

I tried adding a stock model to the original file then re-generated the blend tool path but its still cutting at an angle.  Also I can't regenerate the toolpaths on your file but I matched the parameters from your blend operation to mine and it still cuts at an angle I added the current file so feel free to take another look.  I appreciate the help

Please read my comments in my first response. There is nothing wrong with your "Blend" toolpath. Those 2 angular lines are controlling it and it is creating a blend between them. The bosses on your solid model have an angular shape on the sides between each boss....so your toolpath should be angular. 

Go back and re-do the Tutorial 2 as the premise is the exact same.

This a method and process to using Mastercam. Holders is probably one of the most overlooked parts needed in today's advanced Manufacturing methods and processes. Get yourself in the mindset you are building your craft and becoming a professional programmer. Learn holders, tooling and many other aspects to CNC Manufacturing. Using Mastercam or CAM program is just part of the process. You can have the best understanding of any CAM program, but without knowing speeds and feeds of what you using and proper working holding methodology then it is like playing a video game. Every part has it's own story and process to make it the best way possible. It is up to the programmer to figure that out and make it happen. What is cool on a lot of really complex parts with many operations there are different ways to achieve that goal. End of the day if you make a part that has a good run time that makes a good quality part then consider that a victory. 

1 hour ago, aaron tabor said:

For speeds and feeds you can determine good numbers by calculating the chip load correct? Which is IPM/RPMx# of flutes

Yes, but if the tool is defined correctly in Mastercam then it will do all of that for you. Using a 2 or 21 flute tool if that is defined like it should be then no matter what rpm you run Mastercam will give you the chip load per tooth and the ipm. Get in the habit of defining them and saving tools. Then you can recall them and not have to define them again. 

9 hours ago, aaron tabor said:

can you tell me why when I try to machine on the front plane its cutting into the part way more than the depth I entered in the linking parameters?

Since you have the Depth set to Absolute and the way the part is set up it is cutting -1.0 below the origin, so it is cutting -2.5" deep in total from the front surface. The front surface is positive 1.5" above the origin. If you want to go -1.0 deep into the front surface use "Incremental" with this set up.

• Like 1

Machining is truely becoming a lost art. My recommendation would be to get to the basics and get out in the garage and make something. Get in to a manufacturing job and learn the ground basics. L:ike millman says, it's not a video game, it's a computer interface with real world ramifications. By all means keep learning and asking questions!!! Being inquisitive is a huge bonus. I have been doing this a very long time and I still do a huge percentage of troubleshooting and finding out "why" something isn't working. 

• Like 1

Yeah I ask questions when I don't understand.  When everything goes right on mastercam or when I encounter a problem troubleshoot it and figure it out it gives me a sense of accomplishment.  I'm learning mastercam with the tutorial books so far I've done the Mill and Lathe essentials tutorial books.  Now I'm working on the solids and advanced milling tutorial books.  My goal is to keep learning mastercam go through most of if not all of the tutorial books and eventually become mastercam certified.

3 hours ago, #Rekd™ said:

Since you have the Depth set to Absolute and the way the part is set up it is cutting -1.0 below the origin, so it is cutting -2.5" deep in total from the front surface. The front surface is positive 1.5" above the origin. If you want to go -1.0 deep into the front surface use "Incremental" with this set up.

You were right about that thanks for the help.

There are hard lessons to learn in setting a datum below a part highest point. There are as many ways to accomplish a part as there are stars in the sky. In the end, you want something that runs in a reasonable time, produces a good part and is easily understandable by anyone that may be looking at your processes. That's why you see the suggestions on tool holders, adding notes in operation fields etc. etc.  The more diligent and obsessive you are with this, the more successful you will be. Learn good habits now so you don't have to retrain yourself later.

• Like 5
21 minutes ago, altamontmfg said:

There are hard lessons to learn in setting a datum below a part highest point. There are as many ways to accomplish a part as there are stars in the sky. In the end, you want something that runs in a reasonable time, produces a good part and is easily understandable by anyone that may be looking at your processes. That's why you see the suggestions on tool holders, adding notes in operation fields etc. etc.  The more diligent and obsessive you are with this, the more successful you will be. Learn good habits now so you don't have to retrain yourself later.

+100000 couldn't agree more.

8 hours ago, #Rekd™ said:

Something I just learned is how to create a plane that you can machine on which I did and now I can program with absolute on the front plane.

practice part 1 #2 with tool paths.emcam

2 hours ago, aaron tabor said:

Something I just learned is how to create a plane that you can machine on which I did and now I can program with absolute on the front plane.

practice part 1 #2 with tool paths.emcam

Have to be careful using that process. Will that plane be your Zero on the machine? If so then good way to approach it if not then you need to understand the relationship between planes and what your going in Mastercam and it to be doing on the machine with posting code. The plane is now your Zero for running it on the machine. If you make planes for each face then you are looking at that number of setup and work offsets on the machine. I like to name my new planes. IF I were using G54 on my machine I would call the plane just that. G54 ZERO. Then when you make a setup sheet and display the plane name you have details that will help whoever setup up the part where and what you are thinking for that setup. On that toolpath change it from Dynamic Peel to normal peel. No need to worry about the corners in a through slot like that. Just have to check entry and exit to not get a collision on the part. Don't need a value in there, but using them prevent the tool plunging into the stock when you start and then coming off the part at the end cleanly. Not sure why Dynamic feels the need to do the corners like it does, but wastes time.

Edited by crazy^millman
Pictures removed to add space
  • Like 2

When setting up a part on a machine you would use the points on your stock origin like if you created a square and anchored it to center your x0 and y0 therefore would be the center of the part correct? Also would the same apply if you off center it -1.5" in the x and y then have a stock origin that says X: -1.5 Y-1.5 z0 making the center of the part again the and x and y 0?  If I need to clarify I could make 2 files showing you what I mean.

59 minutes ago, aaron tabor said:

When setting up a part on a machine you would use the points on your stock origin like if you created a square and anchored it to center your x0 and y0 therefore would be the center of the part correct? Also would the same apply if you off center it -1.5" in the x and y then have a stock origin that says X: -1.5 Y-1.5 z0 making the center of the part again the and x and y 0?  If I need to clarify I could make 2 files showing you what I mean.

Add a machine group in the same file using both methods with a WCS for each then no need for 2 files.

• Like 1

The "Stock" in Mastercam is just used to setup Stock Material for Verify. You can change the "origin" on that stock picture, by clicking on the corners of the cube, or the default is "top in Z, centered in XY".

Turn on the "Shaded" option, and it will help you see it.

The location of the stock, is independent of the location of the "WCS / Plane Origin". The Stock Origin is only used to position the stock block, so if your stock isn't correct, either edit the XYZ Values to move it, or maybe click a different position like one of the 8 cube corners, and modify the position values from there.

You can always just click on "Bounding Box", and let Mastercam create the stock in the right position for you.

Always the most critical thing is > 

• Make sure the Zero Point of your G-Code Program, matches your Work Offset & Tool Offset locations on the machine.
  • Make sure your Stock Definition "looks like your actual piece of stock", including showing any excess thickness, or other feature of the real piece of material.

Some people use only XY for their G54 Work Offset Location, and only use Tool Length Offset (G43) with a negative value, to control "where is the Z-location" of the tool coming from.

The more advanced way is to set XYZ location of the actual Work Offset Location (Zero Point on the machine), and have your Tool Length Offset be a "positive number", which represents the physical length of your actual tool. This is what a Probing System will use, if you're using a machine with a Probe.

Both pictures show different things, so you tell me.

Close the Stock Dialog Box, and see where your origin is. Is it in the center of the part, or at the corner?

Make your origin in Mastercam, match where you set the origin at the machine. You can do this by using transform to "move" the geometry. Or you can move the Origin Point of the plane (if you aren't using the Default planes).

This is where you'll really need to work with your Mastercam Reseller to get some training...

19 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Both pictures show different things, so you tell me.

Close the Stock Dialog Box, and see where your origin is. Is it in the center of the part, or at the corner?

Make your origin in Mastercam, match where you set the origin at the machine. You can do this by using transform to "move" the geometry. Or you can move the Origin Point of the plane (if you aren't using the Default planes).

This is where you'll really need to work with your Mastercam Reseller to get some training...

By work with my mastercam reseller to get some training do you mean take classes for mastercam?

7 minutes ago, aaron tabor said:

By work with my mastercam reseller to get some training do you mean take classes for mastercam?

I assume that is correct.

There is one thing to program a part in Mastercam with a "generic machine"....it is another thing to prove out code/ posts etc with a specific machine....then another thing to set up and run a machine...all require training or lots of trial and error. My point is you need many aspects of training/ experience in this industry, please use this to motivate yourself to seek it out!!!!