Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cutting Nylon

Phil Orenstein

I use air and very sharp high speed steel. I run in pretty fast trial and error, I dont cut it daily but monthly.I will look back and see what my last jobs speeds and feeds were if I can find them. More important will the parts be rigid or flimsy, keepin em flat or straight can be an issue. (Oh you said high temp nylon, I dont know the differance confused.gif )

Ahhh your in for a treat. Nylon is not hard to cut, but it is dimetionally unstable and creates burrs like crazy. Highspeed endmills work fine (they tend to be sharper than carbide). I generally cut dry or with air because the nylon will absorb the oil from your coolant.

Hey Phil,

I have not done much milling but have turned lots of nylon. The biggest problems have been with chips wrapping around the part and melting onto the part. Use coolant and try to position the coolant line to blow the chips off the part and tool. Perhaps a M00 to clear chips after roughing might be a good idea. Clamping can also be an issue as the material is soft and will distort with too much pressure. Watch for your part distorting after parting off or unclamping. You can use fast speeds and most any feed you need to create the required finish. Hi-positive cutters can sometimes pull the material put of you chuck or collet.

Good luck,

Phil

PS. oil absorbtion has not been concern for us.

I've cut nylon many times. Crank it up. A couple of thing to watch for are:

If holding it in a vise don't over tighten.

Tapping can be a pain. Chips get wrapped around the tap. I found that a standard gun tap works better than a spiral.