Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2023 Optirough starting parameters

Kabinker

Hey guys ive been having trouble controlling the start of the Optirough in 2023 or 2022. No matter what setting i change in the toolpath control tab or anywhere for that matter, my Optirough always starts at the bottom left of the outside of my part. Its also starting with about 1 inch of air between the part and the tool. If im tight on table space it causes me to overtravel and i cant get around the problem. The only change i can get it to do is just start from the  center of the part and work outwards but thats usually not viable for what we cut. The approximate start point and "compensate to" do absolutely nothing for manipulating the entry. Atleast for me. ive also tried playing with the leads but havent had any luck there either.  Wasnt sure if anyone else has had this issue and have some advice.

Appreciate any help someone has. 

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

Broken record playing over and over again in what I am about to say, but after almost 20 years here guess that is just what it is. Please provide a sample file so anyone trying to help and see what you are seeing. I have used Opti-Rough for many years and it never failes me when I give it the correct method to do the job. With a file someone can see what is your method to see what needs to change with it to point you in the right direction. Sorry I hate playing darts blindfolded facing the wrong direction in a different state.

• Like 4

Well i tried what leon mentioned about setting up the stock and using rest milling but once i do that it forces to the tool path to work from the inside out which in alot of cases doesnt work for me. I tried using the containment boundary as well, even breaking the line in the middle where i wanted it to start instead of the bottom left corner but still no luck. 

I drew up a random model and have the optirough programmed for it with the default parameters so if anyone has time to take a look and see what im doing wrong i would really really appreciate it. I made a solid rectangle to represent the stock and added in the stock parameters of the machine group and it didnt help me out so i removed it. its on another level currently.   Also the file was to big to upload to i made the step overs huge to decrease the file size.    file should be attached. let me know if it doesnt work. 

Thanks again guys!

OPTI ROUGH TEMP.mcam

• Like 1

Here's your file, using optirest and how how you can force the tool entry from outside the part. I added a boundary on level 4. It's just a silhouette of the part, increased by .375" on all sides (just for the tool center to reach the outside edges of the part) with a made-up box area for the tool to plunge outside the part. This boundary is of course your containment boundary, with compensation set to inside and tool radius included.

I also noticed you didn't have an arc filter enabled in this example, so I enabled it with a tolerance that equals 30% of your stock to leave (this creates much fewer lines of code and smaller file overall, in case you don't know).

OPTIREST EXAMPLE.mcam

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...