Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hex Machining With Bore Bar

Spotterhphc

Hey y'all

Today I am trying to figure out a wa y  to generate this hex using a bore bar on an Integrex i300.

So far I used basic contour and rotary axis set to C and turned off cutter comp. When I run it in the air it works as expected and should perform. The problem is going to be the rubbing on the back side in the tight corners. The corners are .05". I'm fine with relieving the back side more but does anyone know of a way to gradually lead the tool into the corners  ( requiring the Y to come off center ) and also exiting the corners? Or is this a dream i'm having? 

Thanks for any input! The real part has an extra 2.5" on the CB side FYI

Mcam 2023

image.png.6890f596b444759ea36f050289b5e37c.png

HEX-TEST.mcam

That is my default approach I was just wanting to learn how.

Having to go 4" deep to get to this hex is my issue. The holders I have on hand don't give me adequate clearance. If I can produce this on the first op then my second op can be 3 axis and the setup becomes much more simple. There is a unilateral profile of .002 on this hex so if a bore bar is possible then centerline of the hex ought to be spot on. This machine moves around a bit so anything helps. 

First your tool needs to have the clearance. Which will be kinda tough here. On fanuc, there are two options that work together to do stuff like this. They are call Cs axis control and normal direction control. The second keeps the tool orientated normal to the compensation path (like cutter comp but orienting).  The example below uses the milling spindle but it could also be configures for C axis. Since it is already a rotary axis, you may just need normal direction control. Mazak has versions of this too. Other approach would be to make a macro. This could be done with no additional options but some work to do. If you se stuff like this frequently, may be worth it. Another thing to try is TCP. Depending if your post supports it, you could probably get this to work with axis sub. and a smidge of tilt.

A couple different ways, all will be a little bit of an adventure.

https://www.facebook.com/MstTooling/videos/hale-machining-is-a-cnc-control-technology-made-to-scrape-off-end-mill-cutter-ma/243150534122233/

Edit: Do you have multi-x ? You could get some useful code using morph/along curve and tilt away from the drive surface.

Mike 

For reference. Obviously doesn't help you since you're on a Mazak, but I've seen videos of a Integrex doing the same thing.

image.thumb.png.baf961e87e249257629fbfa9630199ec.png