Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 AXIS packet problem

mirek1017

sometimes mastercam wants to do weird s#@t. i find what I'm looking for and make it work and just go with it.

as long as its a good pc and i don't crash the machine..

9 minutes ago, mirek1017 said:

so I need to have selected stock or just wall and floor  for this toolpath ?

just the walls and floor.

For that fillet - Or turn on "round corners" in on the Cut Pattern page.

On the original question of Pocketing.  The thing to keep in mind with Pocketing (and Opti, for that matter) is that they're really Volume Removal Tools.  They need to have either volume, or try to guess the volume to be removed.  Both work better when given stock assuming everything else is equal.

There's a few issues with the original file and I want to explain what why they're happening and why Gizmo's changes work:

The toolpath offsets from the floor to generate the pattern, which is why the Surface Normal needs to be reversed (Surfaces > Normal > Change).

Your containment isn't doing anything because it's not a containment boundary.  It's two independent chains that don't form a single area.  I'm surprised it doesn't error out when generating with that selected.   If you do want to use a containment boundary, then it has to be one contiguous loop.

The toolpath expands to cut the entire stock model that's outside of the containment (yours doesn't count because of the above point).

If you don't have stock, it will try to figure out volume from the wall height.  This works fine as  long as the walls are all the same height, but can cause problems if the heights are different height.   Another way to control this is not to use a containment, but instead make a stock model that is only the area to be removed.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

I just  programmed a round part similar to the o.p but it had a little more detail in between 2 flanges with 5 axis pocket rough.

I chained the same way with 2 curves not touching each other, used a stock model that i created from the turning operation to tell it where it had material. it kept the tool from coming outside the 2 curves.

I didn't think it would work but it did. 

image.png.2fb30c1d8dc5a2dc5fba57686c961d85.png

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, GIZMO 21 said:

I just  programmed a round part similar to the o.p but it had a little more detail in between 2 flanges with 5 axis pocket rough.

I chained the same way with 2 curves not touching each other, used a stock model that i created from the turning operation to tell it where it had material. it kept the tool from coming outside the 2 curves.

I didn't think it would work but it did. 

image.png.2fb30c1d8dc5a2dc5fba57686c961d85.png

Neat, that must have been improved then :)

• Like 1