Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

step roughing id's with lathe?

Gary

I did a search but didn't find anything on this.

Is there a switch or setting that makes roughing The id of a part step its way to the back of an id. We do a ton of cone shaped id's and common depths are 4 inches with a say half inch hole at the back and a 1.5 hole at the front. I like to use a .375 bar with a extended tapered holder. This way the bar cuts it own clearance as it works its way to the back of the hole. I just got a mazak and it has a cycle like this. But it would save me a ton of drillng if i could do this on my other machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

smile.gif

Try using an angled roughing tool path. It's way better than step. I use it for deep bores in 304 stainless and also for roughing plasma cut blanks OD as well as ID.

I run a Mazak too, but anytime I want to do an operation like you are talking about, I step over to MC and crank out an angled tool path. Set the roughing angle the same as your cone and you're dancin' firebounce.gif

I tried setting it to the angle it follows the profile of the part but i can't get anything that limits the depth of each pass. The tool heads for the back of the hole on each pass which would cause a collision with the tapered part of my holder. If you could put a file with what your doing on the ftp it would be great. I would put something up but i only have the demo disk at home this weekend.Thanks

+1 Harryman, thats exactly how I do it.

Gary, Make sure your stock is defined in job setup with a 1/2 in hole through center.In the operations roughing parameter page choose the angle in the "Rough direction/Angle" , and choose "use stock for outer boundry" ,in the stock recognition section. It will now recognize the stock and stop at the end of each tapered pass.

This is actually a great toolpath. You will love it. I have made many taper bar holders to hold my boring bars for just this case. Exactly as you describe.

Yeah I finally found what you guys are talking about. That is going to save me some serious cranking on the hand machines. I much appreciate the help and my carpal tunnel free wrists(nock on wood) thank you to. cheers.gif

• 7 years later...