Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Worth buying custom 2X lathe post?

Tinger

I am about to buy a seat of 2x lathe for a fanuc machine. I figured the default post would be more than adequate. Was planning to have my reseller make a few minor tweaks here and there, but they told me they no longer tweak default post. If I wanted tweaks, I would have to purchase a post from them for $500. 

Does anyone have experience with the default 2X lathe post? Is it worth buying a custom post for $500?

4 minutes ago, Tinger said:

For sure. I'm just bummed about them no longer tweaking post even though I'm current on maintenance. 

you can always shop around for someone to mod your post, if you have something working buying a new post seems like a bad choice imo,

there are lots of companies out there doing post work, maybe you can get a deal

last time i needed a post mod i asked on the main forum and someone from mastercam showed me how to it with a few lines of code,

you can try that too, it was something simple i wanted a different feedrate for x and y moves worked like a charm

• Like 2
On 4/18/2023 at 11:44 PM, #Rekd™ said:

The best part about buying a new post would be getting support....

It really depends on what your budget is and what you plan to use the lathe for. If you're looking for a lathe that can handle larger projects and is more precise than a standard lathe, then a custom 2X lathe could be worth the investment.

44 minutes ago, Skylar Roberts said:

It really depends on what your budget is and what you plan to use the lathe for. If you're looking for a lathe that can handle larger projects and is more precise than a standard lathe, then a custom 2X lathe could be worth the investment.

So...how does the accuracy of the lathe, dictate that a customised post is advantageous, over "just a standard accuracy lathe"?

And how does a larger project,  dictate the benefit of a post, over a smaller project - surely complexity of part to make, is more important?

If money is an issue I would start with the (GENERIC FANUC 2X LATHE) post from Mastercam techexchange, and see what changes are needed, then ask here for help modifying the post.  This forum has a lot of  experience people who can help you make changes yourself.