Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Playing with tool path editor and unified parallel to manipulate tool paths

Corey Hampshire

I am working on a little test part to try and learn how to better manipulate the tool paths to get it to do what I want it to do. I am hopeful that someone will take the time to show me some tricks to accomplish this.

I want to just do a simple contour around the round boss. That's easy. I have that handled in op 1.  I want the tool path to speed up and run at a higher feed rate when the cutter isn't fully engaged. How can I make contour (or another tool path) accomplish this? Where the ears are at, I want 25 IPM and where the endmill is about 40% engaged, around the boss, I want 50 IPM. Could someone take some time and show me how they would do this?

I know about tool path editor, but I have never really used it. I was screwing around with it, and was able to save my toolpath geometry to a level, turn off computer comp and then things started getting funky. If you drive off the tool path geometry, every time you would want to change a leave amount, you have to start the process over again? You basically draw exactly what you want the tool to do and shut off compensation, correct?

I decided to throw a multi axis tool path to it and play with parallel locked to 3 axis.  I thought I could use feed control zones to change the feed rates but never made it that far. I had some minor success, but I notice it wants to drive the center of my cutter to into my boss. I'm not sure how to get around that. How do I offset the tool to stay on the outside of the boss and use it like you would use contour?

Also, as it goes around the boss, it sure would be nice to change the start point of that path so that the tool doesn't try and retract, or put a weird linking move in. How can I manipulate this?

Sorry for the rambles, I hope someone can digest them. 

Thanks for the help!

Test 2.mcam

With the 5 axis toolpaths, it's pretty easy, but I'd use Project Curve instead of Parallel.

The only trick to Project is to make sure you set the comp side:image.png.5d9e78cad9dec3771d6fd0afa0e8e0c0.png

Depending on the quality of the edge curve & the surface it's intersecting, it sometimes needs a touch added to offset amount to deal with surface irregularities, so I'm in the habit of always adding a smidge (.0001" in this case).  It may not always need it, but it almost always fixes issues with poor surfaces so it's a thing for me at this point :) 

After that, you're right about feed control zone.  I set it up with the edges of the ears:

image.png.be59094647c95b0ad8c7fb4370dae543.png

I set the toolpath to feed at 50IPM, then feed control zone inside of those ears to be 50% (so 25IPM).   Make sure you add a touch of offset, though, so that way the tool actually "intersects" the walls. 

With Contour, I think you'll have trouble since it's a single arc.  Your edits would apply only to that segment (the complete arc) which isn't what you want.

Test 2.mcam

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

Aaron,

Thanks for taking the time and explaining this so well. Especially on a Saturday.

I don't know why I chose parallel  for a tool path. You're spot on, I should have used project. I guess, in my head I knew I wanted it to make a Parallel tool path to the wall.

Also, great tips on the offset side and setting it .0001. 

Offset in feed control zones just slows the feed rate down before it comes in contact to the surface, correct? In other words, if I put .050 in there, .050 before the endmill gets to the ears it will slow down the feed to 25 IPM?

I worked some more on the contour tool path and using tool path editor. I really want to learn how to use it, as there are times when I can't Mastercam to give me what I want and settle for it instead of fighting city hall. I figure I just need to use it to learn it, so I gave it a shot. I attached what I came up with. I took the circle and broke it at the intersections of the ears. I then modified the feeds to slow down in that area to 25 IPM. I know it's the same thing as feed control zones, I'm just trying to learn. Putting in the sweat equity.

If someone wants to look at tool path 3, this is where I played with tool path editor. I'm open to feedback as always.

Test 2 (1).mcam

The toolpath editor would be (and is) great for changing feed and speed for certain segments, but it has one major drawback which is why I never use it: Mastercam gives not a single hint that something has been changed using the editor. They must be documented and there is simply no room in the toolpath comment. Otherwise you WILL eventually lose the changes. It has been a while since I played it, so will the toolpath edits persist if Mastercam detects that the edited segment has not changed after regeneration?

15 hours ago, SlaveCam said:

The toolpath editor would be (and is) great for changing feed and speed for certain segments, but it has one major drawback which is why I never use it: Mastercam gives not a single hint that something has been changed using the editor. They must be documented and there is simply no room in the toolpath comment. Otherwise you WILL eventually lose the changes. It has been a while since I played it, so will the toolpath edits persist if Mastercam detects that the edited segment has not changed after regeneration?

I understand you thoughts here. You are correct if you unlock a edited Toolpath and regen it then all changes are lost, but normally you just have to right click on the toolpath and open the tool path editor and close again and the toolpath will be green. We have asked for bookmarks for operation changed through the toolpath editor, but yet to see anything integrated into the software.