Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

U-DRILL TOOL DEFINITION

Good afternoon team,

I'm fond of using my insert drill (u-drill) as a boring bar in my lathe, but am struggling to get this to work properly in MCam 2023. I have found this forum post from 2017 which suggests some workarounds, but they also suggest that the functionality I'm after is "in the works".

I'm happy enough to use two offsets to define the drill centerline and the outer insert edge, but the 3D tool designer does not seem to have an option for drills, and the 2D tool definition does not seem to have the option of a custom drill definition (for the non-straight cutting edges created by the udrill inserts).

I have defined the udrill as a boring bar in the 3D tool editor, and I can use this in the "lathe drill" operation with an X offset of 10.0mm to produce the correct simulation; but I then have to mod the output Gcode to get it to output the appropriate X value. I'm trying to set the program up for newbies, and I don't want them messing with GCode.

Is anyone able to make a suggestion for me please? I'm not sure if I'm just missing something really simple or not.

Thanks guys,

I had a crack at the Multi-function type for the drill, but couldn't get it to do what I want. I appreciate the tip on the point-to-point operation, but I think it's somewhat too advanced for the newbies I'll be training. I'd rather use the "Lathe Drill" operation if possible.

I think I fixed it though - I set up the tool side and end clearance with the drill off center, then moved the STEP file on center using the "Fine Adjustment" option in the Tool Assembly -> Compensation tab.

image.png.fe2b61acf9c6862c6ed605dca273a25e.png

image.thumb.png.14da70e5ad2b4ecdedbf79c83fd10100.png

I can now leave the drill point on center in the "Lathe Drill" op, it seems to simulate correctly, and it correctly outputs X=0 in GCode.

image.png.827d7c6fa7899470ade0b01e9109a3d9.png

image.png.39ff5bdd4d9803931a58e4db6cd1d775.png

image.png.3bd85c29a80af27ebc78a76a866b9b70.png

I hope this helps someone :)