Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Merge File > Active Level Doesn't

Jobnt

Clicking File / Merge and selecting an exported assembly (from solidworks) to import then selecting "Active Level" doesn't use the active level. 

Is this another glaringly obvious bug or is this an undocumented feature (that likely nobody (especially me and my programmers) wants)?

49 minutes ago, #Rekd™ said:

I don’t have 2020 loaded but I did a simple merge in 2021 and it worked as expected. 

When i do one part it typically turns visibility on for the source level (the level it would have gone into if I didn't tell it to use the active one) and turns off visibility for the destination (active) level (so dumb) so at first it looks like it doesn't work, then when you finish it's in there (unless you REALLY thought it didn't work and merged it 3 more times, now you have 4 models in there but I digress). 

But when I do an assembly, somemosttimes it puts one component on one level and another component on another level and so on. For solidworks, levels are an afterthought and there is not much use for them so that doesn't make things any better I don't think.

2 minutes ago, Jobnt said:

But it doesn't. It leaves the solid in the file. 

Sorry, I too do not have 2020 installed anymore, in 2022 & 2023 it cancels the the merge and deletes the solid. Try dragging the new file in holding the CRTL key.

• Thanks 1
On 5/15/2023 at 5:14 PM, Jobnt said:

But it doesn't. It leaves the solid in the file. 

Yeah, I've noticed that as well, and it still persists thru 2022 as well. Apparently, in the merge dialog, it's just a suggestion, rather than a rule.:wallbash:

Of course, you have to perform a save as for it to take effect, so there's that.

• Like 1