Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Helix toolpath

Andy

Andy,

When backplotting on the screen make sure the verbose mode is turned on. Now in backplot you could see if you're getting any G2 or G3 movements on the bottom of your screen. If you are, than the post is where you have to make the edit. This way at least you could eliminate the file as being programmed wrong.

I would have to guess that the program is correct. Double check to make sure the changes in the post that the other guys suggested were made correctly. Try using Mpmaster again. Sometimes it's the most obvious.

Ok, I changed the filter around and am now getting g1 g3 g1 g3 etc. Not sure what I did but...that part of my question is solved.

What I noticed about the toolpath is that the g1 move is about .008 inches long and the g3 is .0004 long. So the code is still fairly long.

I was hoping the filter would give me something like a thread mill toolpath where the g3 is most of the move and the g1 is short or non existant.

Of course my geometry is a spline so maybe this cant be done with the filter like a thread mill code.

For example: in a 2d spline one could make a tool path that was a succession of line segments approximating the the spline curve. OR one could make a succession of tangent arcs approximating the curve. The tangent arcs make for a much shorter code. This is the idea I was trying to apply to the helix spline.

One can take a spline in the xy plane and modify/break/spline to arcs/ and choose a tolerance that fits reasonably and contour it and have only g2/g3 in the code. (much shorter code than line segments). But the spline to arcs does not work in a Helix. And the filter obviously does not do it.

Maybe what Im after cannot be done in a spline helix unless I do a contour ramp toolpath?

Any thoughts?

Andy.

When you build spline the better resolution will give better results

Using compensation type control and roll cutter around corners none must give best results(turn off optimize for more then one turn ).

Tool path with compensation computer and roll around corners is lines with tangented arcs (rolling over corners ) you will get much better results of filtering toolpath consisting only of lines (tool compensation control roll around corners -none )

HTH

ITHH