Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 axis surfacing with undercut tools

5AXIS505

Hi everyone

I was curious what toolpaths other guys out there are using to surface undercut features on their 5 axis mill. I am trying machine some radius on the bottom of a hole and am having a heck of a time figuring out a good way to do this. I am currently trying to get port 5 axis to work and am having quite a few issues.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

flowline works with undercuts

surface finish contour works with undercuts

about every mult-axis path works with undercuts (in my opinion offering the most power, control, and most supporting 3 axis, 4 axis or 5 axis tool axis control modes).

Edit: i just noticed you specifically are looking for 5axis motion and not 3 axis so maybe these examples dont apply to this question, so i suggest Unified, if you set unified to a Plane and set it to "construction Plane Z" on the cut pattern page i think that would work well, since setting unified to a construction plane Z means the toolpath will cut Top to bottom which i assume is how we would want to cut a feature like that

CONTOUR-FINISH-UNDERCUT.mcam

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
On 7/13/2023 at 3:37 AM, AHarrison1 said:

Too true. I swear there are times I feel that apart from being a CAM software it is also a tool to make sure that you definitely are

filling your daily quota of swearwords.

At my last Gibbs job I shared an office with the CEO. He eventually moved out because I kept talking swearing out loud about all the bugs in the software.

• Haha 2
23 hours ago, JoshC said:

flowline works with undercuts

surface finish contour works with undercuts

about every mult-axis path works with undercuts (in my opinion offering the most power, control, and most supporting 3 axis, 4 axis or 5 axis tool axis control modes).

Edit: i just noticed you specifically are looking for 5axis motion and not 3 axis so maybe these examples dont apply to this question, so i suggest Unified, if you set unified to a Plane and set it to "construction Plane Z" on the cut pattern page i think that would work well, since setting unified to a construction plane Z means the toolpath will cut Top to bottom which i assume is how we would want to cut a feature like that

CONTOUR-FINISH-UNDERCUT.mcam 2.67 MB · 2 downloads

I really appreciate the input.  I was attempting to use unified before but I kept getting unsupported tool  errors, after selecting the z construction plane those errors went away. I am now making good progress on this part. Thanks again!