Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Depth Cuts

MSlanker

On 7/28/2023 at 10:01 AM, sharles said:

I think it's just more a counter-productive attitude of being penny wise and pound foolish. Of thinking it's 'good enough' and 'we've always done it that way' and so on and so forth rather than seeing it as an investment that will make the company better....

Best training, I ever gotten was sitting in front of the computer and trying everything until something did what I wanted, in the process you learn what everything else does.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, AMCNitro said:

Best training, I ever gotten was sitting in front of the computer and trying everything until something did what I wanted, in the process you learn what everything else does.

I get asked where did I get my degree from. I tell them OJT and had some ask Ohio Oregon? I laugh and say On the Job Training. Nothing like the school of hard knocks

• Like 3
On 8/2/2023 at 3:25 PM, neurosis said:

If we ever get stock recognition for 2d contours we'll be unstoppable.  :D 

Yes, all toolpaths should support stock!

You can often use 5ax Curve if you need to trim, it'll even trim to 3d stock nicely.  Just lock it to a Plane for tool axis control.  For example, if you had this 5x curve toolpath:

image.png.8acf89c18cffebc472de78d47b9adb42.png

Then turn on Stock, it'll result in this:

image.png.bded8fc3e73755ebfefb27bb742ecf97.png

• Thanks 3
  • Like 2
18 hours ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

You can often use 5ax Curve if you need to trim, it'll even trim to 3d stock nicely.  Just lock it to a Plane for tool axis control.  For example, if you had this 5x curve toolpath:

I often use Blend Mill to accomplish this kind of path. I find it really eases the cutter into the passes. You do have to cheat it a bit, and define the outer wires to match your desired tool dia to dodge the stock. Gets some really nice results, and the trimming is done implictly from where you set the outer boundary. It's semi-stock aware.

Also, I dont have multiaxis, so 5ax curve isn't on the table!

Screenshot 2023-08-04 111746.jpg

• Like 2