Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Jagged constant scallop toolpath

watch4king

Been running a guitar neck toolpath for several years now. Even though its not perfect my Fadal had no problems. I got a new machine and would like to clean this up a bit since its generating an unnecessary amount of code.  Surface Finish Constant scallop on X7. Does anyone have any idea how to make this better? I have tried the other surface high speed machining options but cant make heads or tails of it.  Thanks

scr1.jpg

1 hour ago, crazy^millman said:

The surface edges are the issue. The model needs to be redrawn with a smoother edge or best would be a solid model. I know you working with surfaces because I can see the way the surface model is being represented by the square hash lines in the graphics window.

I just converted into a solid model. Same results. Maybe a tad better

scr2.jpg

26 minutes ago, watch4king said:

I just converted into a solid model. Same results. Maybe a tad better

scr2.jpg

The underlying features are just not smooth enough at the end. Draw a solid line or arc offset .001" to .002" to that edge and trim the surfaces or solids to that edge. Regen the operation and see the difference. Surface edges depending on what or where they were drawn once saved can have a lot of irregular edges that don't show up easily to the naked eye, but in he binary data of the surface it is scrambled up.

2 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

The underlying features are just not smooth enough at the end. Draw a solid line or arc offset .001" to .002" to that edge and trim the surfaces or solids to that edge. Regen the operation and see the difference. Surface edges depending on what or where they were drawn once saved can have a lot of irregular edges that don't show up easily to the naked eye, but in he binary data of the surface it is scrambled up.

I'll work on it a bit more. Thanks

1 hour ago, watch4king said:

I have high speed scallop available just can't quite figure it out

It's worth figuring out.

It works the same way as legacy scallop.

pick your drive surfaces

chain a containment boundary ( and set it to stay inside a couple of thou)

and set your Linking.... there are a lot of new options here

You can spend hours playing with the different options.. but you shouldn't need any of the fancy stuff for this toolpath

• Like 1

Watch a you tube on equal constant scallop...

Adjust your settings...

Zoom in on your path and look at the " Noise" your trying to smooth out...

If you post and get a .err error report it's because your post doesn't have this new tool path in it...the code is still good though.

I'll show you how to ad the path to the post if this happens...

Drop 15k more then MC for a seat of  *.*  and you'll get the best path possible first mouse click..  actually you won't even have the ability to adjust any parameters. It justs kicks out the best.

I don't have that luxury myself so I adjust the paths parameters to suit my needs as I go

( MC since 1999 )

I HAVE SPOKEN !!

• Huh? 1