Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3/5 Axis cutting Toolpath suggestion

Metals and materials

Hello all. Good Morning!

I am machining a complicated part (for me!) in 5 Axis machine (which I have not milled before). I need recommendations on what toolpath to use. I am attaching images below. This would be a huge help. Thank you all in advance. 

We are planning to do this in two steps. First two counter the walls and remove the middle portion. It will go for heat treatment then and after coming from heat treat, machine mill the rest. Until now, I figured to do curve multiaxis to counter the walls and Optirough to do middle portion. But they are not perfect. I need the bottom radius that I am not getting in any. Also, for some reason, optirough stops at little height above the floor. Which is good for now as we need 0.01" high to give in heat treat but for finishing, I need something else. to remove everything and create radius at bottom. 

Any help here is helpful. Thank you in advance, again!!!!

Here is the link to the mastercam file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1faVKq0Dh2Z1Oyhopj30n75lh1VyA_h8H/view?usp=sharing

Image_03.PNG

Image_04.PNG

I may be missing something, but judging by your photos this part doesn't even seem to need a 5axis toolpath, it looks as though it could all be done in 2d and 3d toolpaths + surface finishing.

do you really send it out for heat treat looking like the second photo? or do you rough out the rest of the center first?

We want to rough out the middle portion where all the fins intersect, keeping it 0.01" high on the floor and on the sides.  I need to chamfer as well and then heat treatment. 

I tried  3D dynamic opti rough. Even I set floor and wall to be zero in the machining parameters, it is not touching the floor ( and not doing radius as well). What toolpath should I use?

I though 5 axis because,the floor is curve. Here is the picture. Opti rough is also highlighted

Image_05.PNG

honestly it would be easier if you could just upload a .mcam file and I'll try to take a peek at it.

if the floor is a big curved lens, but the fins are straight up and down, then I can't imagine how a 5axis toolpath would be easier/more efficient than something like a generic surface finish scallop for the floor. (except maybe 5axis for better toolholder + tool shank clearance)

and if you have something like a bull nosed endmill on the opti-rough, but you set 0.0 stock to leave on floor/wall, it still won't be able to finish that center section due to the geometry of your tool.

also, the size of the part would drastically change how I would try to go about attacking this.

there are just too many variables to be able to guess off the top of my head