Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

same tool different material

Cnc Programmer

7 hours ago, jpatry said:

Also, is there a way to install just the standalone tool manager on a computer?

Because I could get our toolroom attendant cataloging stuff, at least preliminarily, but he doesn't need a full CAD/CAM package installed.

In the quick start guide for the standalone tool manager it says if you have a fresh install of Mastercam you can't run the stand alone tool manager until after running Mastercam at least once. I believe this is because running Mastercam creates certain files that the stand alone tool manager requires to run.

If I could take a second to hijack this thread... Is there a way in the stand alone manager to sperate an assembly? Meaning split the tool from the holder to use the two separately or in another assembly? 

4 minutes ago, Jake L said:

Is there a way in the stand alone manager to sperate an assembly? Meaning split the tool from the holder to use the two separately or in another assembly? 

To the best of my knowledge, no.

Only way I know how to do it is load the assembly into Mastercam, delete the holder and save the tool back.

This is why I create my tools individually and save them and pick them for assemblies as I need to...

• Thanks 1
On 10/5/2023 at 11:36 AM, sharles said:

just literally got done adding 'A2' tools to our library...Now we've got AL, FE, A2 and a few REN tools, and 1500+ tools to wade thru. Personally I'd rather just change the sfm if I'm in tool steel rather than add more to my library, but I'm not in charge...

Just like all things in life, you get out what you put in. If you go through the work for one tool and you use it ten times in one year then nine of those times you just added a tool in a few seconds. With every tool you add you become that much more efficient. Right now (after around 17 years) I might add 5 tools a month and they are usually tools from another material that will need speeds, feeds and pecks or no pecks changes if it's a drill.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 10/6/2023 at 9:27 AM, Jake L said:

If I could take a second to hijack this thread... Is there a way in the stand alone manager to sperate an assembly? Meaning split the tool from the holder to use the two separately or in another assembly? 

Actually, you can simply drag a tool onto the assembly and it will accept the new tool....I do it lots when I'm just changing from steel to aluminum but using the same diameter drill. And so, I thought I'd try doing the same with a completely different tool before I replied to you, and it still worked.

• Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, sharles said:

Actually, you can simply drag a tool onto the assembly and it will accept the new tool....I do it lots when I'm just changing from steel to aluminum but using the same diameter drill. And so, I thought I'd try doing the same with a completely different tool before I replied to you, and it still worked.

Good to know. Is there a way to take an assembly and save the tool (without the holder) into a library?

5 minutes ago, Jake L said:

Good to know. Is there a way to take an assembly and save the tool (without the holder) into a library?

Not totally sure. I create ALL my tools in the stand alone library. Are you saying if you create an assy/tool inside Mastercam, and then you want to save just the tool?

If you are in the internal Tool Manager (Toolpaths--Tool Manager) and right click on an assembly, you can save that to the stand alone library (I think), but I couldn't figure out a way to save just the tool from that assembly...maybe I missed it...

• Thanks 1