Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Customizing Setup Sheets in Mastercam with Excel Integration

XXDALIXX

Hi everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I have a question  that I thought this community might be able to help with. I work as a CNC programmer and use Mastercam for my projects. After I've completed my programming, I usually fill out an Excel file with tool part numbers, references, revisions, dates, and part images.

Recently, I came across the concept of setup sheets in Mastercam, and I realized that they can do something similar to my Excel file. I'm wondering if there's a way to customize my setup sheet by integrating my Excel data directly into it. This would save me a lot of time and effort.

Has anyone tried doing something similar, or does anyone have any insights into how I might go about it? Any tips, guidance, or resources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 minute ago, XXDALIXX said:

Unfortunately, our company doesn't want to spend any additional money, so we're looking for a solution that can be implemented without extra expenses.

You just got to prove the return on investment.

Ex. if I spend 3 hours a week typing tools into a tool sheet and getting X+ or something similar can bring that 3 hrs to 5 minutes... how many weeks before the product pays for itself and from then on it's saving money at no cost. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Jake L said:

You just got to prove the return on investment.

Ex. if I spend 3 hours a week typing tools into a tool sheet and getting X+ or something similar can bring that 3 hrs to 5 minutes... how many weeks before the product pays for itself and from then on it's saving money at no cost. 

You're right about the return on investment. I actually tried something similar in the past. I proposed a 5-axis operation that would have saved a significant amount of time, and I provided data to prove it. However, they decided to stick with the old method, reasoning that two people were sufficient. It's sometimes challenging to convince decision-makers, even when the potential time and cost savings are clear.

• Sad 1
Just now, XXDALIXX said:

You're right about the return on investment. I actually tried something similar in the past. I proposed a 5-axis operation that would have saved a significant amount of time, and I provided data to prove it. However, they decided to stick with the old method, reasoning that two people were sufficient. It's sometimes challenging to convince decision-makers, even when the potential time and cost savings are clear.

I see that often, bean counters gladly stepping over a dollar to pick up a penny

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2
On 10/24/2023 at 8:53 AM, XXDALIXX said:

Hi everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I have a question  that I thought this community might be able to help with. I work as a CNC programmer and use Mastercam for my projects. After I've completed my programming, I usually fill out an Excel file with tool part numbers, references, revisions, dates, and part images.

Recently, I came across the concept of setup sheets in Mastercam, and I realized that they can do something similar to my Excel file. I'm wondering if there's a way to customize my setup sheet by integrating my Excel data directly into it. This would save me a lot of time and effort.

Has anyone tried doing something similar, or does anyone have any insights into how I might go about it? Any tips, guidance, or resources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

For a simple tool list, you can select your operations, in the Toolpath manager, right-click (with your cursor in the Toolpath manager) and select Tool List.

• Like 3