Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Probing a corner at an angle.

I was reading my probing routine documentation and it has O9816 to find an external corner. It says you can use I & J if the part surfaces are not parallel to the machine axis, but it does not say anything about defining the nominal angle value. This makes me think that the routine can account for some misalignment error to the axis but not a full 24.965° like I have in the pic. I would think an angle of this magnitude would need vectored moves to be remotely accurate. Has anyone used this routine in a situation like this?

My goal is to find both the red corners and set G54 between them.

image.thumb.png.1126b391c38c86c85cc3ad9c7e5f59a8.png

12 minutes ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

it's been a long time since I've used it as a standalone cycle, but if I recall, as long as you have enough travel distance to hit the surfaces, it can figure it out.

There is the issue the bottom face can be probed on a 3 axis. It is the top surface that is the issue. Need to probe the front surface to establish the plane and positio of that face. Then probe the bottom and top face and then do the calculation to find the connecting point. The issue is where do you figure out the point? At the highest or the lowest of them. The average of them needs to be calculated and figured out. Great we collect all 3 planes and if all 3 planes are prefect to each other and the deviation along the connecting point is small then no worries and the positional tolerance we are trying to find wide open then again great, but I imagine it is not and someone has the idea that we can hit a .0001" True Position or profile tolerance running around in the head of management and this person has been tasked with making that a reality when reality was never considiered at the very beginning of the process.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

it's been a long time since I've used it as a standalone cycle, but if I recall, as long as you have enough travel distance to hit the surfaces, it can figure it out.

To my surprise, it did work no problem. I had to play with the travel distances a bit, but it handled it.

• Like 2

As an aside for odd shaped things, yo chan change the probe search distance with a "Q" argument. Default search distance is 10mm. Add a Q and a value (i.e. Q1.0) to increase the search distance to what you need. Beware of interference/collision possibilities when increasing the search distance. Ask me how I know. 😮

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
On 12/14/2023 at 10:18 AM, Tinger said:

I was reading my probing routine documentation and it has O9816 to find an external corner. It says you can use I & J if the part surfaces are not parallel to the machine axis, but it does not say anything about defining the nominal angle value. This makes me think that the routine can account for some misalignment error to the axis but not a full 24.965° like I have in the pic. I would think an angle of this magnitude would need vectored moves to be remotely accurate. Has anyone used this routine in a situation like this?

My goal is to find both the red corners and set G54 between them.

image.thumb.png.1126b391c38c86c85cc3ad9c7e5f59a8.png

I would locate the WPC with a tooling ball, and probe that, instead of trying to locate on the intersects of angles on a skewed part

On 12/15/2023 at 11:21 AM, cncappsjames said:

As an aside for odd shaped things, yo chan change the probe search distance with a "Q" argument. Default search distance is 10mm. Add a Q and a value (i.e. Q1.0) to increase the search distance to what you need. Beware of interference/collision possibilities when increasing the search distance. Ask me how I know. 😮

Q is how I got it to work!

• Like 1