Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Haas 3x mill post not updating work offset when needed...

Hi all,

I recently posted a program that uses multiple work offsets (G54, G55, and G56) which occur at both toolchanges and null toolchanges. I noticed (fortunately) that on some operations the work offset would not post, even though the previous work offset was different. I have tried everything I can think of to fix this, and have done extensive reading on this forum and elsewhere, to no avail. Am I missing something obvious? 

Desired solutions:

-->I would prefer to edit the post so that the work offset is posted with EVERY toolchange, along with a safety block(G17, G40, G49, G80, G90).

-->I would also like to make sure the work offset is inserted at every null toolchange where the offset differs from the previous one(or perhaps just at ALL null toolchanges, to stay on the safe side).

Can anyone offer some insight on how I might accomplish this?

-Post settings-

Current post processor:

image.png.733949e7d2d998a9812770ce4b6caecd.png

force wcs:

image.png.4a040463fa60c552c9cca25ab83d9f56.png

pwcs block:

image.png.df11d6c9b1d894577234460ddcb7f912.png

-How the code is posting-

OP1 looks good:

image.png.508286b5aff2be5bf42eb318226bc626.png

OP2 (I would prefer that it post G54 even though it hasn't changed)

image.png.0599b85ce79d0299620d6bf20f585dc0.png

Here's where things get screwy. Still on T2, but this is a new operation without the "force tool change" box selected. I am positioning the rotary axis at A180, and have selected the corresponding planes in Mastercam. I have also selected G55 in Mastercam, but it does not post this to the g-code.

image.png.db2e99d133d03623d3b76aeff3a0dcc0.png

image.png.c76b5d931a69d68e82d9300ab1ee6b6c.png

UPDATE:

After fooling around with the post processor for hours, I went back into the Mastercam file(I'm using Mcam2021, btw), and deleted and re-created the operation that was supposed to have the G55 offset. I took screenshots of the old operation to make sure I created the new one exactly the same.

Now when I post the code, it DOES put the G55 where it needs to be:

image.png.c1f1a0199175403ed59fcadd85db3b86.png

Does anyone have any ideas on why deleting and re-creating the operation produced a different result? As a shop, we are trying to get to a place where we don't have to go through the g code with a fine tooth comb every time we post a program, but this makes me lose confidence in being able to get there.

I am still interested in posting a safety block (with the proper work offset) before every toolchange, and posting the work offset(regardless of whether it has changed) at every null toolchange. If anyone can offer guidance in that direction, it would be greatly appreciated!

Your reseller, would be the best contact to help you with the edits unless you have experience in MP post. Not sure about your file sets,  you could may be just needed to regenerate the selected operation and not delete it. 

Adding the safety line before every tool change you would need to create a line before the (pbld, n$, *t$, sm06, e$)  following post blocks.

psof$            #Start of file for non-zero tool number
ptlchg$          #Tool change

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Update:

We just had our computers upgraded and Mastercam reinstalled, and now I cannot get the incorrect/missing work offset problem to reoccur. I guess this is a win, though I still haven't figured out why the problem was initially occurring.

And yes, I know our reseller should be the point of contact for this type of issue. They are non-responsive on this issue, and have been for over a year. I reached out to Mastercam directly and they will only respond with: "XXX is your reseller, contact them for support" - so no help there. My employer is happy to keep paying yearly subscription fees even though we only update our Mastercam version once every 5 years, and we haven't been in contact with the reseller in any capacity for over 2 years.

Thank you everyone for the help! As you can tell, I'm very much on my own here.

I'd be happy to share a z2g file, but no one asked. I'll be sure to include one in the future, so thanks for pointing that out. I'm new to these forums and just as new to editing post processors so I'm still learning the ropes. I think I can consider this particular issue resolved, and with the guidance of some other threads, I was able to get a work offset to post with every operation. Thanks again to everyone!

For Work Offsets in general, my preference is to "assign them to my Plane". (Don't use "automatic numbering" > -1 setting!)

By making some edits to the Post, it is certainly easy to ensure the Work Offset is posted, and having it posted out for before the Tool Change, and also at the Null Tool Change, is certainly easy to do. Sounds like you may have solved some of this already.

If you look in my signature, I've got videos of a Post Processor class I taught up on my YouTube channel. See "MP 101". 28 videos all about Post Processor Development.

Thanks Colin! I actually did stumble on the goldmine of youtube videos you have posted there, and let me just say thank you for putting that info out there. I haven't made it through all the content yet, but the videos I watched so far were super helpful.

I will also try to start assigning my work offsets by plane. I haven't tried that before, but I like that it might make things a little more foolproof.