Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Raster to Vector

Wally

Hey Walley, I hate when people tell me to buy software that is not needed. However in your case there is a solution. There is a plug-in for Adobe Illustrator that lets you convert raster to vector. It is called Silhouette and after using the demo it is pretty good.You can find it here.

http://www.silhouetteonline.com/

If you want to try other software I would suggest the Mastercam Rast2Vect converter or any of the following.

Wintopo (There is a free version that works well)

Corel Trace (Comes with Corel Suite there is a demo version to try it out at corel.com)

Adobe Streamline (Standalone and there is a demo at adobe.com)

Algolabs (I am messing with this one right now and is pretty easy demo at algolab.com)

There are a lot more packages but the ones mentioned are the best to use. Good Luck

I use VPnt raster to vector, a great program only one real requirement is that parent file must be black and white no color not enev gray scale.it does outline or cennterline conversion very clean. I use it to convert 4x Mylar artwork used on golf clubs.

Thanks for all your help. I know this subject has been covered before but after breaking down to a purchase I became lost. What I`ve done in the past is to take a Bitmap into AutoCad and tracing it. Man, time consuming curse.gif Then taking it into MC for a tool path. I believe you are all right - there is no easy way. Tazzer - I will check out the site you suggested. Thanks again for all the imput.

The problem with most raster to vector programs is that they take the relatively thick lines of your scanned drawing or graphic type file, and convert them to several thin lines which are real memory hogs. The best way is to import it into whatever program you are using, then change to another layer, trace it over, then export your tracing. I'm using coreldraw 12. They have R to V converter, but it has the same problem, makes big files.

John

Remember, no matter what, you will have to clean it up in MC in the end. I use corel trace, very easy, but, it does make a fairly big dxf export.

But really, its straight forward and any of the converters above will work. You just have to mess with them and learn the technique.