Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Kia or Hass

Big B Sprint88

A few years ago I was working at a college CNC tech lab where they had a Kia Turning Center (Kia Turn 15) with a Fanuc O/T Control. I never used it but there didn't seem to be any complaints from the folks who did. We were also considering a Haas SL20 recently. I've used and like Haas mills. I know Haas makes good user freindly machines and their service is tops.

HTH

Phil

We are a job shop, so high productivity and super speeds are not what we are looking at.. We are looking for a machine that is as user friendly as possible and a machine with a good backbone, as we cut anything from plastic to inconell. The kia/korean thing scares me a bit, but i never heard bad things about them either, just trying to get a feel for what others thin

Thanks for the input thus far.

My buddy has an SL30 and an SL20 Haas which seem to be decent machines but they are definitely not what I would call a rugged machine. If you are going to be doing some heavy stock removal I'd want a demo at the local Haas Outlet or a Haas customer to show the machine will really do it. I know it isn't apples for apples but my Okuma Captain L370 will take stock all day long that I wouldn't even try in that SL30...

If you're looking for inexpensive I've heard some positive comments about DooSan. DooSan used to build machines for Okuma-Howa and I can say from experience that Okuma-Howa lathes are VERY rugged, dependable machines. Methods Machine Tools reps DooSan and they don't sell junk; you may want to consider that as an option

C

Thad, the reson it scares me more than anything is because of a mindset I have, weather it be right or wrong. I always associated korea with cheap junk. like i said it is just a mindset that is hard for me to loose.

On the other hand, we are looking at a mill in this package also and for example a new haas 120x40 machine weighs 12000 pounds less then a kia that has travel of like 86x32.. Looking at those #s the kia is a way better built machine, or they put a lot of lead in there cast.

which is another reason i am starting to think "not haas" For instance on that 120x40 mill, i think that is way too much table to be hanging on linear bearings, and that machine only has like a 4000# table cap. thats not a whole lot in comparison to that size table. I have had more weight than that on a 60x30 fadal

Hmm... Haas support. Well they will send a lotta guys who will you will get to know quite well over the ensuing weeks of "support" and you may even want to give them their own office and coffee pot as they will soon become almost temporary employees. They will need a data link and a fax machine also. On the other hand they are very nice people and are local.

I'm running my friend's SL30 right now and; like I said, it is what it is: 1/2 as fast, 1/2 as rigid, 1/2 as accurate, and 1/2 as expensive as the Okumas at 'my' shop. Big travel, easy to run, simple to program, but a Mori or an Okuma it ain't...

Make sure you let us know how you feel about whatever you buy; nice to learn others' experiences

C

quote:

Haas support. Well they will send a lotta guys who will you will get to know quite well over the ensuing weeks of "support" and you may even want to give them their own office and coffee pot as they will soon become almost temporary employees

LOL

Actually there is a real simple solution for all this, would you rather pay 5000-8000K/month for 5yrs on a Japanese machine or rather pay off your machine in less than 3yrs with slightly less payments.

Its seems like a no brainer to me.

We have the Haas SL30 lathe with live tooling and full C axis cap. There is no Y axis and the live tool spindle is rated for med duty: 3/4 endmill or drill in mild steel max. some XY work can be done thru polar to cartesian conversion thru G112 I have yet to do much with it, but even my friend who works at our Haas rep says not to push it.