Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

hasp problems on install

Rick Morrison

I just received my Mcam 9.1. I bought two seats.

Installation was quick and easy, except for the hasp. The serial number on the usb hasp matches the doc sent to me by my reseller with the update code. But when I run Hasp Utility, it shows the serial number as -1. When I try to put in the update code, it tells me the serial numbers don't match.

Any Ideas?

Rick Morrison

Mfr. Engineer

PTC Fastening, Inc.

Rick, if you are running WinXP you may need to go to the Patches page on this website

and download the latest HASP drivers.

2 seats huh???

Talk about jumping in with both feet biggrin.gif

Welcome to the forum!!!

edit: that -1 return almost makes me think the USB port isn't working???

edit again-- make sure you are running hasp.exe, not nhasp.exe. I had a real problem with that mistake one time

[ 06-05-2004, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: gcode ]

My usb ports seem OK. My little USB drive works fine as does my mouse. I moved the hasp around from port to port but nothing changed. I downloaded the new drivers. They were the same as came with V9.1 MR0304. It didn't matter. Can it be something to do with when you plug in the hasp? I know sometimes you have to run the installation first and then plug in a usb device

Rick,

I've got a parrallel hasp, so I'm not sure how the USB works. Go into your Mastercam install folder and double-click hasp.exe (not nhasp.exe)

If you still get a -1 for a serial number, I'm going to guess that your dealer forgot to

program the hasps.

Rick, -1 for the serial number means hasp.exe cannot find the HASP (or the HASP might be bad).

What does it say in the large center field of hasp.exe, and in the message field at the bottom ?

When you installed, were you logged on as administrator ? The HASP driver can only be installed correctly with administrator priviledges.

You can check the status of the HASP driver with the command line HASP driver installer in the common diretory of your Mastercam installation, using the command as follows:

hinstall -info

That will tell you whether the driver is installed and working, and you should also check the "Key search" setting, which should be "USB-Parallel" (or just "USB").

If the "Key search" setting is wrong, you can change it to "USB-Parallel" with this command:

hinstall -ks=USB-Parallel

You can get a full listing of the command line switches with this command:

hinstall -?

If the driver is installed correctly, and you still get those problems, then you should contact you dealer. It seems very unlikely that both HASPs should be bad, though, as even a single new HASP being bad is very rare.

gcode's suggestion that your dealer forgot to program the HASPs does not hold, they should still be readable. They will read as uninitialized (with the correct serial number) if they have not been programmed, and you will then need to program them with the update codes you received.

The center field reads:

Mill version Invalid Level Invalid

Lathe version Invalid Level Invalid

Wire version Invalid Level Invalid

Design version Invalid

Solids Version Invalid

Hasp.exe finds the hasp when you click Read.

Start date is 4/29/2013, end date is same

Maintenance is same.

That looks like the HASP is bad, or there could be something wrong with the setup of your USB port.

Could you try the HASP on another PC ?

You do not need to install Mastercam to test the HASP, you only need to install the HASP driver, and run hasp9.exe.

To install the HASP driver on another PC, you need to copy and run the hdd32.exe file, found in the common directory.

Did you check the HASP driver as I described ?

Rick,

A really dumb question..

Have you rebooted this machine since you installed MC and the HASP drivers??

I have a verification program (Predator VCNC)

which never asks for or requires a reboot during the install proceedure.

Despite this, the sim will not accept codes

untill the computer is rebooted.

I just tried that. Rebooted the computer and then tried to input update code. It made no difference.

I do appreciate all the help. I know my reseller will have a solution on Monday. I wanted to get a jumpstart on learning Mastercam. I got 30 molds to make in the next couple of months.

It really sucks when you've got a new toy and can't get it going tongue.gif

I think if I was in your shoes, I'd put the parrallel hasp on my machine and let the shop computer wait. Its only a minutes work to switch from parrallel to USB hasp when things work correctly.

Winne brought up something I hadn't thought of.

Is the date on your computer correct? HASP's are programmed to shut down if they dectect

something wrong with the computer's clock.

Even if the computer clock is wrong, hasp9.exe should still be listing the licenses on the HASP, and the start and end dates of the license period.

If the behaviour is the same on two PCs, then it is almost certainly a bad HASP, you will have to contact your dealer about the problem.

In the meantime, you can try the parallel HASP, you can always move around the HASPs later. There are only two potential problems with moving around HASPs:

Date issues - You must make certain that both PCs have the computer clock set correctly, and are set to the correct time zone.

Power spikes (parallel HASP only) - If you also have a printer connected to your parallel port, then you must switch off both the PC and the printer when plugging in or removing the HASP, otherwise you might burn out the HASP (it isn't very likely to happen, but it can happen).

I going to say if you have more then one Hasp try the other.

When you plug the USB hasp in does the light come on?

Now you have one Parallel and one USB is this correct?

I am not worred about the drivers if you are installing from a 9.1 disk to XP those drivers are right.

Most problem with drivers come from V8 to XP.

The parallel port hasp works fine. Shows all the right info.

My PC recognizes the usb hasp, and it lights up.

I think it is a case of a bad hasp. I'll call my reseller tomorrow morning. Even if they ship me a new one, it works out OK because I'm heading to Lake George (Americade) Tuesday and won't be back until Wednesday morning. It should there when I get in.

I just wanted everyone to know that Monday morning my reseller called me promptly at 8:01AM.

He gave me some diagnostics to check it with. He knew immediately it was a bad sim. CNC Software sent a new one overnight. I was away Tuesday but 6:30AM on Wednesday my sim was there. It works fine.

Thanks again for all your input.