Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

HAAS G187

Müřlıń®

Howdy, could we talk about using the G187 in the HAAS control for a sec?

I haven't used this yet, but want too.

Let me see if I understand how it works.

This forces the cutter to roll around any sharp corner on a .0003 radius?

So the servos dont slam in the corners?

If this is the case I would like to use this along with the HIGHFEED option.

This would work wonders in the inside corners...

But I am not sure how to set it up in my post.

MillMan gave me a link to where ReKD set it up in his HAAS post.

I am just unsure about what he was using mil5 and mir5 for....

Murlin

Just the opposite, Murlin.

The speed at which a HAAS travels around a corner is a direct factor in the accuracy at which it goes around. The faster you go, the less accurate. If you use G187 E.001, the machine will (supposedly) slow down enough to only allow .001 of error. If you set it to E.03" you will go around the corner much faster, but may have up to .03 of error.

I've used it a little, but haven't seen good results from it.

IMNSHO, it is a weak attemp at a very poor High Speed function.

I use the MI and MR for toggling the G187, and setting a value for E respectively.

I agree with Matt on this I also think it is a poor excuse for this function. I set the paramter on the machine at .01 or .001 and will get the same results and the same feedrates. I am looking to just use the highfeed from mastercam as a fix it since the machine seem to be lacking in the ability to use it the correct way. I have tinker with Highfeed but never really made it a point ot use it exclustivly. Think that time has come even for the Fadal think i can see a 10-25% increase in time and still keep the quality we are looking for. I will keep you posted. Man usre is nice to have as job running for 72 hours since yesterday but that would be on the Thermwood not the HAAS but already done a 43 hour run on the new motors so here hoping all is good there onl time will tell.

What do you guys have your cornering acceleration set at in the Highfeed on your Haas machines? I've run a bunch of test diameters, but never been able to see a clear-cut definative feed rate when servo over-travel occurs....

anyhow, on the vf2 it's set at .019g's , and the mini-mill at .0172g's.

Default g's work for me because I rarely finish at more than 120 IPM in the steel I am machining......too many inside corners that are = the diameter of the cutter I am finishing with....

HAAS motor controls are pretty good and I dont see any over travel at the speeds I use..

Murlin

What do most of you guys have your setting 85 set at? If using highfeed in mastercam then do you change the setting to a larger number? We have a Haas VF2 and we build injection molds. Setting 85 is set at .0003. Right now I'm not using the Highfeed option but I have in the past.

quote:

You shouldn't be getting any sharp corner data in you program unless you've intentionaly turned off "Roll cutter around sharp corners".

Outside corners, yes.....inside corners...???

Surface/Rough/Pocket will add loops to the inside corners, but on Surface/Finish/Contour(one of my most used) Mastercam generates sharp internal corners. Or am I missing something headscratch.gif

Murlin

That's what I thought Winnie smile.gif

My machining strategies use tools that are larger, most of the time.....for reasons too much to tell....

I use Surface/Finish/Contour for roughing all the time on cavities.

Whenever possible, I will always try to engineer my parts so that the cutter will be able to roll around the inside corner radius on the finish pass. I.E. if the print calls for a 1/8 corner radius on the finished part, and the tolerances of the radii are +/- .03, I will put a 130 so the cutter will slightly roll inside.

This will keep chatter and shock down in the corners.

But lets say you are roughing with a 1/4 rad tool, well in the corners it's gonna slam....

It would be cool if there was another filter added to the HF so one could roll around the inside corners as well smile.gif

Murlin

I cant believe it took me this long to use that toggle, I never noticed it. Serves me right for not keeping up on current events......

I can make my inside corner radii smaller now and use pencil again and still zip around the corners on my last roughing.....

I learn something new everytime I use Mastercam.

I swear.... the compitiion doesn't stand a chance....

If we just knew how to fight ignorance, everyone would be using Mastercam.... smile.gif

Murlin